FS: Carlton Super Course - original - SOLD

blightyinfurs

Old School Hero
Carlton Super Course in white/cream with Suntour/Raleigh equipment. 1972ish, I think. The bike is almost totally original and is in used but very good condition.

It was built in the Worksop factory, and I suspect would have been built by (or under the tutelage of) Gerald O’Donovan, who of course went on to run the Raleigh Advanced Products division, building the Tour de France winning frame for Raleigh.

Frame and forks are Reynolds 531 and are both badged; frame size is 21". The gears are Suntour Cyclone front and rear, with Suntour friction shifters. The seatpost is engraved/stamped Raleigh, as is the stem. The crankset (Campag clone) is marked Raleigh. The chainrings have been drilled; not sure if this was a factory option, but it's been very nicely done. The rims are Ti Raleigh, and the hubs I think are Malliard. Brakes and levers are Weinmann.
There are some silver marks on the frame, which are most noticeable on the top of the forks, and at the lugs. I can’t be sure, but it looks like someone may have sprayed it at some point in its life, and it was then sympathetically removed. Some of the decals are in exceptional condition, whereas some are faded, in particular the ‘Super Course’ on the top tube.
Can't add pics until this evening, as I'm at work at the moment. I'll confirm the frame number (which should also confirm the date of build) hub type.

This bike is in used, but remarkably original condition. The only thing I would change if I were to keep it, is to slap a B17 on it.

Collection only in Derby – I can deliver over short distances, but it’ll mean me riding the blighter and walking/train back so I’m not too keen on that.

Price is £130.

Can't seem to upload pictures, even when they are within filesize limits. Do you have o have permission to post? I've uploaded them on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44483701@N05/

Frame number is WH?S 0002078 The ?, partially obscured by a spot of rust, looks to be a 0, which in my mind would make it June, 1970.

The hubs are Normandy Luxe Competition, Made in France. The brakes are Weinmann 605.

It may not show on the pictures, but the paint has a slight pearlescent quality to it. Shame that someone tried to paint it silver.

Keep in mind, this isn't immaculate, but is complete and original and has been well looked after - but it is nearly 40 years old and has been used. I think I've shown this in the pictures.

Back