Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:11 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Righto then, new road bike means that I'm getting rid of 'old faithful'. I bought this new back in the mid 90's and it was my first, and until this week, only road bike.

The only original parts now are the frame, forks, headset and seatpost.

Early this year, the bike was treated to new chainrings, chain, cables and bottom bracket.

The frame is US made (ie welded together in the States!) True Temper AVR and the spec, whilst modest, is reliable. RSX STI, 500ex brakes, chainset and front mech with RSX rear mech.

Its running a custom 11-28 7spd cassette and a manly 42/52 combo up front... none of this modern poncey compact nonsense. Wind up the 52/11 and you'll be hitting some serious speeds and in the hills, the 42/28 will help you develop those nice legs that your partner wishes you had :)

Wheels are 105 hubs with Matrix ISOc rims. The hubs are pre-hyperglide but luckily, Shimano made the original hyperglide FH bodies retrofittable to the old hubs so despite their age, you benefit from modern slick shifting as I've fitted a modern HG freehub body.

Bars are wide, 440mm, saddle is a Flite, tyres are Bontrager racelite and Vittoria Rubino Pro.

I'd like £150 plus post please :)

Will get pics up later this evening!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:19 pm 
Old School Hero

pics please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:32 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Here we go. My proper camera went AWOL in Las Vegas so these are the best I can do I'm afraid.

Pictured, but not included are the pedals, bottle cage and rear light.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Bump...

Can also be supplied with the original (silver) bars which are not as wide.

Open to offers. This really has to go. It won't get ridden by me any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Might be interested, whats the True Temper AVR frame like weight wise or rather whats the Reynolds equivalent? Also any idea on the BCD of the cranks cos there's no way my knees will like 42/52.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Kerplunk wrote:
Might be interested, whats the True Temper AVR frame like weight wise or rather whats the Reynolds equivalent? Also any idea on the BCD of the cranks cos there's no way my knees will like 42/52.

erm... dunno.

I've never weighed it or worried about it to be honest. It's double butted, which puts it one step above gaspipes but I don't know where AVR sits in theTrue Temper range or how it compares to other steels.

BCD is standard road, whatever that was back in the mid 90's. Replacement rings with less teeth certainly won't be difficult to get hold of :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Russell wrote:
Kerplunk wrote:

erm... dunno.

I've never weighed it or worried about it to be honest. It's double butted, which puts it one step above gaspipes but I don't know where AVR sits in theTrue Temper range or how it compares to other steels.

I know from early-to-mid 90s Diamondbacks, that their mid-range bikes used True Temper AVR frames (so Ascent EX, and early 90s Apex). The Axis and Axis Team (I'm thinking around 91/92) used higher-end True Temper frames (OX and OXII).

BITD, my 91/92 Apex had AVR frames and forks, and in the 95 Diamondback range, the Ascent, Ascent EX had it, as well as their Expert road bike.