WTD Road bike cheap but good (yes I know...)

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi, well my lovely 531C framed Ribble was stolen from me in the early hours of saturday morning and I am now after a replacement for commuter duties.

Ideally something of similar spec 531 frame, Shimano Rsx100 groupset would be nice. The Ribble cost me £53 all up (including shipping from liverpool) But I realise the replacement value will be higher.

Ideally 700C wheels.
And around 56-58cm (im 5ft10/5ft11)
Would be lovely if it had nice cinelli bars/stem/rolls san marco ti saddle like my Ribble but I sadly realise its not likely at the sort of money I have to spend.
Cosmetics not too important, function needs to be good.

Let me know what you have

Rob

RIP My beloved Ribble, (photo taken mere hours before the theft :( )

Attachments

• ribble.jpg
    ribble.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,413
Road bike

Completely different animal to your Ribble, but I have a 1950s Rudge that was going to become fixed gear.
Obviously, I was going to sell it at trendy fixie prices to someone in London to pay for my boat repairs, but I know you need it so I'll let you have it at cost price.
£110 is what it owes me, but for that price you'll have to come and get it. Singlespeed freewheel option is a possibility, if you'd rather wuss out (you're in good company if you do! :p ).
If you're interested, I could build it up on Tuesday night and take photos.
For now, think of a Pashley Guv'Nor, it has similar lines to that, but obviously it's more than 50 years old, so is less shiny. Not £800 though, either!

Chris :cool:

the only thing I can offer is this, its too short in the top tube and after the fisty cuffs in buying it, it has bad karma for me!

not as cheap as the ribble as its 99% mint and ready to ride:

lovely_lugs_2_145.jpg

lovely_lugs_1_887.jpg

Attachments

• Claud Butler thingymajig.jpg
    Claud Butler thingymajig.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 1,437
Hi man,
Sorry to hear about the ribble - bastards :x

Got this that may fit the bill, 55cm Mtrax race from the RSP lot. Exage groupset rigida on a quando front. unknown on a 7speed maillard rear
Tyres are good. little dink in toptube and a couple of bits of treated surface rust. not 531 but pretty light.
Looking for £65 shipped.

Cheers

Attachments

• mtraxrace.jpg
    mtraxrace.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 1,421
Chris, sounds good, Pashley Guvnor is a damn fine looking bike. My only concern is weight, I will have to drag it 2 floors up a tight and winding staircase through 2 very heavy fire doors.

LGF, How much are you looking for, looks a nice stead.

Longbeach, very interested price point is great and it looks pretty too is it ready to ride and not too tired? I am still Keen to explore the other options above.

Cheers all, after some asshat's actions make you question your faith in people, this website always comes up and restores it.

Ive been riding it for a few months on and off and its ready to go.
Pretty sure its got a good few miles in it yet. If you get a prob I'm sure we could work it out :)
Cheers

JeRkY":2u8dx7d3 said:
Chris, sounds good, Pashley Guvnor is a damn fine looking bike. My only concern is weight, I will have to drag it 2 floors up a tight and winding staircase through 2 very heavy fire doors.

My Clubman is 28lbs all in, and the Rudge would be about the same. Not stupid heavy, but enough. Obviously a much longer wheelbase than modern bike though.

Hmm probably be an issue with my stairs.

Go for the trendy build and get what you can.

chris667":1p8eyfim said:
JeRkY":1p8eyfim said:

My Clubman is 28lbs all in, and the Rudge would be about the same. Not stupid heavy, but enough. Obviously a much longer wheelbase than modern bike though.

Hi Chris

Have you found a frame for me yet
Regards
Mark

longbeech":2v8faaeg said:
Hi man,
Sorry to hear about the ribble - bastards :x

Got this that may fit the bill, 55cm Mtrax race from the RSP lot. Exage groupset rigida on a quando front. unknown on a 7speed maillard rear
Tyres are good. little dink in toptube and a couple of bits of treated surface rust. not 531 but pretty light.
Looking for £65 shipped.

Cheers

Is this still for sale? what size rider do you think it would suit? cheers!

Back