1953 FH Grubb Southern Cross RESTORATION PROJECT

JCKSHRMN

Dirt Disciple
Extremely reluctant sale but my old van needs some urgent work and need the cash.
Bought at an auction not long ago, with the intention of doing a full nut and bolt restoration. Initially thought it was a 1949 FH Grubb Perfection but after the help of some of the extremely helpful people on this forum we have identified it as a 1953 Southern Cross, although is probably a bit of a mongrel, using parts from the older bikes as this was the era Freddie Grubb was transitioning to a Holdsworth ownership (hence the older headbadge)

It looks like it is entirely original, if not all period parts. All of which are in great condition, except the wheels. Although they would probably restore well if you wanted to.

The frame number matches the forks and that reads 3233, there is another number stamped on the BB but as i say, that is likely to be a leftover French BB used at the time. these are both sand blasted and ready for fresh paint.

Some of the components still have remnants of the awful red paint before hand. Somebody had sprayed it whilst it was together and hadn't masked properly, alot of this has come off with some fine wire wool though. I do have primer and paint bought and ready in a nice midnight blue that would be included but obviously colour would be your preference.

Other period parts include GB Super Hood Levers (missing one adjuster), Hiduminium Brakes, Dunlop rims, Reynolds lugged style stem matching the frame. Braided cables were completely shot.

Pedals are currently apart as I was restoring them and the bearings were completely flat so bearings will need to be replaced, or I can give you a set of repop pedals with the lot. The bars and stem have polished up nicely so i can imagine the rest of it will to.

See pictures, I have provided as much detail as I know.

The bike is currently in pieces as I was slowly getting through the the bit by bit restoration so would have to be collected in bits, although it is complete, and will be stunning when it is finished or I could wrap each bit and post but would really rather not, just incase. Collection from Peterborough.

Asking £250 cus I really need the cash but would accept offers.

Attachments

• GB Super Hood.jpeg
    GB Super Hood.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Chainset.jpeg
    Chainset.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 310
  • Cool Bars.jpeg
    Cool Bars.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 313
  • Frame Number 3233 - matches forks.JPG
    Frame Number 3233 - matches forks.JPG