Rare Raleigh r700

Speakie

Retro Newbie
I have for sale a Raleigh r700 21inch frame and forks. I can not find one with the same colour scheme anywhere.
I had the bike from Olympian and and masters sprinter Geoff Cooke who told me it was Mark Barry's old bike.
The frame is a 21inch
There is a small dent on the top tube and bits of rust and chips. Im open the reasonable offers as I have no idea what the frame is worth as I have searched and cannot find anything the same for a guide.
Cheers
Adam

Re:

Images

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 868
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 868
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 865
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 865
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 865
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 865
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 865
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 868
Re:

Just searched the frame with a torch and under the paint near the BB you can just make out Reynolds 531 butted 19/22
The frame is really hard to find any info on. I can find a mountain bike and a road bike with the same paint they are both special products, but there not lugged. I can't find anything the same which is strange.

Looks like a Raleigh 8803 frame design from the late 80's with new forks and a later paint job?

Shaun

It's not an R700, R700 had the aero downtube, vertical drop outs, shot in seat stays and was made in 853.
R600 (i think?) had the round tubes, but still 853 (i have a made to measure one, but in R700/team colours.)

This looks like an earlier frame resprayed, probably done while Cookie was using it (late 90's by the looks of it) fork is R600 or R700 standard fit (i've got some of them at home too.) it may well be one from Mark Barry, as Geoff was/is almost exclusively a track rider, road is for training! He wouldn't have bought a new road bike, even with the discounts raleigh gave us! The resprays weren't expensive (for team riders) thats why i had mine done.

FWIW, i reckon i've probably ridden with Geoff while he was riding this frame, while we were both on the Raleigh Factory team

Re:

Cheers mattr that's great info and would explain why I can't find anything similar. Geoff said he had riden it for a bit for training. He told me to paint it team Raleigh colours but I liked it being different. Im 50/50 on keeping it but I've bought a new bike and need to scrape some money together

This is mine, still the "wrong" paint, as its a custom 853, not really an r600 or r700!

427797_10152786985950014_1205242740_n.jpg

Back