SOLD: NOS 54cm Shimano 600 AX aero frameset from -82

ojn

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Frame sold !

For sale NOS 54cm aero frameset. The frame has been sold orginally by Shimano branded but as far as I know it is made by Panasonic in Japan. Serial number 2E14262 and I have dated frame to be made in May 1982. However frame has been made after Dec 1982 as there is Shimano year code FL on the front dropouts. The frame has been designed for Shimano 600 AX groupset. Tubing is made by Tange. Downtube and seatube are flattened on the center to drop shape. Also seat- and chainstays are similarly flattened from center. All dropouts are made by Shimano (rears are EF-dropouts). Frame takes normal round 26.8mm seatpost. Bottom bracket is standard 68mm width british threaded. Also fork has normal 1" threading. Shifter braze on is on the top of the downtube so there are needed Shimano 600 AX or Dura Ace AX downtube shifters which are designed for that type mounting. Otherwise frame is standard. Rear OLD is 126mm and front 100mm. Frame dimensions are: seat tube 54cm (c-c, along the tube), top tube 55.5cm (c-c). Frameset weight is 3085 g.

The condition of the frame is very good as the frameset is unused. However there are marks from a 31 year storage in the frame. The biggest mark is in the other side of the front fork. Please look photos. But I think that all marks are quite easy to fix with color matched paint and laquer.
Seat post clamp bolt and NOS Tange Nova headset are included with the framset. I can also provide partial original decal set with the frame !

Price for the frameset is £250 GBP + 35 GBP (290 + 42 in euros) for shipping to UK and I think that also for most countries in western Europe. I am open to good offers too. The frame is located in Finland. If you have any questions or want more photos please contact me !

- Olavi / olavi.narhi " ät" gmail.com

Photos can be found in original size from my picasa gallery: https://picasaweb.google.com/olavi.narh ... directlink

IMG_6914.JPG

IMG_6927.JPG

IMG_6915.JPG

IMG_6916.JPG

IMG_6918.JPG

IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6920.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6922.JPG

IMG_6928.JPG

IMG_6930.JPG

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG

IMG_6938.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

Re: FS: NOS 54cm Shimano 600 AX aero frameset from -82

Shimano used to make a lot of "Braze ons" BITD, (drop outs/bosses/cable guides etc and they were always stamped "Shimano") this was instigated originally from a tie up in the Early/mid 80's with Tange, Shimano and Tom Ritchey. The chances are the frame is a Tange, as it has their lines and typo forks. Very nice it will ride too!

Thanks for your point Wold Ranger ! I know too that the "braze ons" are made by Shimano and that doesn't mean anything about frame builder. I just wanted to show that the dropouts and braze on's are made from Shimano parts. Tubing, lugs and fork crown are made by Tange. It it possible that the frame is built by some other company than Panasonic but with my current knowledge my best guess is that it is made by Panasonic. But I want to say that this is my guess only.
Serial number format is however similar to what Panasonic have used: http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/faq/
I discussed with the guy who have sold these frames in his bikeshop in early 80's and he said that the framesets were sold under Shimano brand. He gave me some incomplete decal sheets with the frameset, please look attached photo. I have however seen identical frames with Norta and Jan Janssen decals. It is very possible that the company which made these frames sold them unbranded and customer companies sold them under their own brand.
But frame is however nice and I would like to see it build with original 600 AX equipment !

-Olavi

IMG_6946.JPG

Interesting frame...... how did you come by it ?

Shaun

Midlife":zi72hxo7 said:
Interesting frame...... how did you come by it ?

Shaun

I was in the right place at the right time ;). There was a bike shop which was ending their business due high age of the owners and they had much nice vintage things in their backroom... This frame is however way too small to me so I'll sell it.

-Olavi

This would have been well smart if it had the oval seat tube made for the oval AX post.

If only it were a couple of cm bigger :(

Ian Raleigh":1yqnoaqv said:
This would have been well smart if it had the oval seat tube made for the oval AX post.

Do you mean the frame like this one ;) ?
Please contact me if interested. I have one bigger NOS frame (about 60x58cm) with seatpost for sale. Tubing is Tange Aero and all tubes are oval shaped.

- Olavi

IMG_5649.JPG

I'd after sell the wife & dog for such a frame but take out a serious bank loan for the DA AX groupset.

This seat post would look much better :cool:

KGrHqJHJFUFDK7i2t7kBQ0hgIDw60_57_zpsf16223f6.jpg

Back