Raleigh Rapide in pieces

Wright_payne

Dirt Disciple
White Raleigh Rapide 531 in pieces ready for rebuild. 23.5 inch frame as per the extensive rebuild thread in this forum. Also original condition pics of my bike on the forum too.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=256716

I purchased from Ebay but soon realised many non - original parts which I've gradually sourced at great expense.

Original items missing and still required:-

Saddle
Brake hoods
Tyres / tubes (consumables)

Work to do (over and above re greasing, polishing, assembly etc):-

Convert weinmann 500 brakes to recessed fixing - tap and shorten 1 bolt
Remove side pull extensions on weinmann brake levers. Levers same as originals apart from side pulls.

New items Purchased

Black Translucent handle bar tape
Inner / outer brake cables (Clarkes)
Gear cables
headset bearings (caged)
BB bearings (loose - no cages)
Brake Blocks

Original spec / second hand items sourced

Chainset Spider (pedal thread stripped on original)
SR Sakae Road champion handle bars
SR Sakae SP150 pedals
Weinmann 500 brakes
Weinmann Brake levers
SR Block with correct ratios
Rear wheel - Maillard hub / weinmann 700C rim 622*17

This has the potential to be a really nice original spec Raleigh Rapide. Since buying this I have purchased an earlier Rapide (mint green) from the same era / catalogue as my own Raleigh Arena GT racer I had as a youth so this is the bike I want to keep. I currently have 6 bikes and unfortunately this one has to go.

I have already spent in excess of what the bike is worth restored and complete - lesson learned - buy as original as possible. All that is in the way of completing this for me is time. I thought I would offer to the enthusiasts first though finishing the build and selling or Ebaying the constituent parts are viable options too.

Price £160 no offers. Happy to supply photos of everything included to those seriously interested.

Regards

Ian

This may be a bit mad but if something happends that you split this up (very unlikely i know) i would be interested in the forks - as per my build thread where mine sustained some damage.

Good luck with the sale and what you say about the costs etc of building is completely right - but building is wholly dependant on what you want the final article for. I recently completed (well almost) a bike for my wife and the total cost was in excess of £500 (and probably still a few more pounds ot be spent). The final bike is worth maybe £130 but it will not be sold - it is a keeper and i knew that when i started the saga of building it - hence the large outlay. You live and learn - usually in a costly way!!!

Richard

Latest posts

Back