Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:53 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:53 am 
Retro Guru

Not selling? Must be high prices, so that new drop!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:06 am 
Devout Dirtbag

How do you identify the SR components with the Titanium bolts etc?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:18 am 
Retro Guru

Titanium was used on the SR rear mechs only (apart from for the axles in rare bottom brackets). I think the use of alloy brake shoes occured around the time of the second generation 'triangulated' brake calipers I'm not sure they were avaialble any earlier than that. The difference, to my understanding, between NR and SR brakes was indeed down entirely to the brake levers -- drilled for SR, plain for NR with the campag logo boxed, and plain on GS levers without the box.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:31 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

z979 wrote:
Titanium was used on the SR rear mechs only (apart from for the axles in rare bottom brackets). I think the use of alloy brake shoes occured around the time of the second generation 'triangulated' brake calipers I'm not sure they were avaialble any earlier than that. The difference, to my understanding, between NR and SR brakes was indeed down entirely to the brake levers -- drilled for SR, plain for NR with the campag logo boxed, and plain on GS levers without the box.

I though this too about the V1/V2 calipers but there were some early G1 Nuovo Record Caliper sets which came with SR groupsets which had the alloy pad holders - http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... &AbsPos=41

I've had a few of these alloy holder V1 caliper sets come through our workshop over the years. There were also some titanium axled NR hubsets which were rumored to have been badged as SR but these were legendarily brittle - http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... &AbsPos=71

It's usual IMHO to assume a SR-equipped bike to have the following to be a proper SR bike...

SR rear mech
SR front mech
NR Strada Crankset with SR-specific rings
NR hubs
NR/SR calipers with alloy holders
SR levers
NR DT shifters
SR headset

With the 'possible' exception of the calipers I'd argue that without these the bike hasn't really got a correct SR groupset.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:36 pm 
Retro Guru

I think alloy shoes on early calipers is a case of after the event tuning and I'll tell you why. From my experience, alloys shoes are only ever plastic dipped. Plastic dipped shoes (on steel ones originally and on all subsequent versions) were introduced to meet US safety regulations together with a curved quick release cam (and a lip on the front mech cage). So when I see a caliper with a straight quick release and dipped alloy shoes I think tuning.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:41 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

z979 wrote:
I think alloy shoes on early calipers is a case of after the event tuning and I'll tell you why. From my experience, alloys shoes are only ever plastic dipped. Plastic dipped shoes (on steel ones originally and on all subsequent versions) were introduced to meet US safety regulations together with a curved quick release cam (and a lip on the front mech cage). So when I see a caliper with a straight quick release and dipped alloy shoes I think tuning.

I agree, the flat bladed versions are early and came with non-dipped holders. The versions I've had have always been domed bladed and plastic dipped alloy holders. Velobase is useful but it does have some errors.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:18 pm 
Retro Guru

So that my calipers are,...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 am 
Retro Guru

new drop!

lookinf for buyers, no experience required!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:40 pm 

pm sent...

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Is the crankset gone? I'll second dibs if not

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next