Rossin 57 x 56 Columbus SLX. Needs work. Now £50 or offers

ForestHill

Retro Guru
Beautiful Rossin SLX frame in 'Look' colours, which at some point in the poor blighter's life has had a head on collision.

Now, it could probably be ridden like this, I actually rode it 15 miles before I realised, but I wouldn't really recommend it and I am in NO WAY suggesting that it would be safe to do this.

I've taken it to Woodrup and they quoted me £138 for a new downtube, the rest is fine, all tubes and lugs survived the impact so it is just the cost of the tube and checking tracking etc.
The damage is just a small lump/ripple in the downtube close to the headtube and they couldn't tell whether the top tube was a bit off as well, but I've put a ruler against it and it seems totally straight.
Either way, they seemed to think that the only essential work was a new downtube to make it 'good as new' (other than the respray).

I don't have the time or the inclination to do this and then get it resprayed so I'm offering it up for sale here, in the hope that someone with the skills to do this themselves, or a desire stronger than mine to restore this frame will take it.

The paint is buggered anyway and it needs stripping and redoing, the chrome is a bit of a mess but Woodrup didn't seem to think it was fatal, just that it should be taken off and redone/repainted.

Forks aren't original and weigh a bit more than some SLX ones I have so I suspect they're in the 531/Gara region.

Frame itself is amazing, campy dropouts, proper Rossin cast bottom bracket shell (see pictures).

Sizing is 56.5/57 ST 56 TT which is my EXACT size, but I just can't justify taking on this project right now.

I just want to recoup my costs, so going to start at

£50 + postage/pick up in Otley, West Yorks.

Here it is built up, the geometry is slightly out but it's definitely not dead.
MvoJss4.jpg

Loads of pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/vayFb

Re: Rossin 57 x 56 Columbus SLX. Needs work. Now £50 or offe

Trying to work out whether I can justify spending the money to fix this up or not. I know I really can't but then again...

ForestHill":384qxhz6 said:
Trying to work out whether I can justify spending the money to fix this up or not. I know I really can't but then again...

tough decision but if done to same colour scheme and chrome it would look stunning , but not sure you would get your money back . why not use as a winter / hack bike and re do in spring/summer time

It's tempting to get it fixed to get it back on the road and use it, as you say, as a hack bike.

It's still a £138 outlay though! I'd love to get it rechromed and put back to this colourway but that's just going to be too much, anything I do do will be a one/two colour job I think. Seems a shame but it's probably better than it not being ridden at all!

Judging by eBay prices for Rossin SLX frames I could do a lot and still have a good deal on my hands, but as I'm currently unemployed and expecting my first child next year my priorities are elsewhere right now!

That's lovely - and my size as well. Have you asked Chris Marshall in Keighley how much? Give him a ring on 01535 691073.

Latest posts

Back