Campagnolo cassette

Romano

Retro Newbie
Hi
I am new to all this so bear with me
I have a complete campagnolo nouvo record road bike from the 80s and want to know if I can change the screw on freewheel from a 6 speed to maybe be a 10 or 11 speed
I know I will need a new chain
can someone help

thanks

rom

You are on the wrong thread, this is the sales section.

What is your rear spacing? if it's from the eighties it might be from 122 to 126mm, you would have to buy a new hub wich would be too big for the frame, and then force it in by opening the stays.

I woulnd't do it, mainly if the rear spacing is bellow 126mm.

I don't even know if the NR crank would work with a narrow chain.

Bottom line, do you really need the extra speeds? Wouldn't it be better to get another freewheel?

My 2 cts...

HI Rom

as Alex says this thread needs to be in the discussion section.

I'm afraid the answer to your question is no. Freewheels are a screw-on (threaded) fit, where 10/11 speed cassettes slide fit onto splines and are secured with locknuts. There are lots of other issues too such as:

Rear stays will need a gap of 130mm for 10 speed, so the chances are that your frame will have to be altered by increasing the gap (can be done with steel but not aluminium)
Derailleur will need to be updated as a 6 speed one won't shift that far
Controls will need to be indexed; friction won't work past about 8 speed
You'll need a new hub; really a new rear wheel to accommodate the new cassette
Chain as you say

It's an expensive upgrade and possibly not financially worthwhile. What kind of bike is it? And why are you keen to move from 6 to 11 speed?

Hillwalker":2nkxkxty said:
HI Rom

as Alex says this thread needs to be in the discussion section.

I'm afraid the answer to your question is no. Freewheels are a screw-on (threaded) fit, where 10/11 speed cassettes slide fit onto splines and are secured with locknuts. There are lots of other issues too such as:

Rear stays will need a gap of 130mm for 10 speed, so the chances are that your frame will have to be altered by increasing the gap (can be done with steel but not aluminium)
Derailleur will need to be updated as a 6 speed one won't shift that far
Controls will need to be indexed; friction won't work past about 8 speed
You'll need a new hub; really a new rear wheel to accommodate the new cassette
Chain as you say

It's an expensive upgrade and possibly not financially worthwhile. What kind of bike is it? And why are you keen to move from 6 to 11 speed?

Back