SOLD: Northwave Evolution Shoes, size 47

stephen.m.thompson

Dirt Disciple
Northwave Evolution shoes, size 47, carbon SPD sole insert.

I think these shoes date from around 1997, give or take a year. Shoes are in very good condition considering their age, and haven't really been used since around 2005 when I bought a new bike with a different pedal system.

I'd just like enough make it worth me packaging them up and taking them to the Post Office, so £10 + postage (or collect from Bury St Edmunds, maybe Cambridge)?

Attachments

• IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_0886.JPG
    IMG_0886.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 730
Re: Northwave Evolution Shoes, size 47

Hi, I'm intrigued! These look lovely. just a couple of queries....
Are these special carbon inserts to enable a 2 bolt cleat (and would they take any 2 bolter, like a Time Atac cleat for example?). Or can they be swapped for a road type cleat? Or would you need to replace the carbon insert?
What's the Velcro like on them? Is it still the original?
I had a pair of '97 Northwave Compacts which I only recently got 'retired', but they were the best shoes I ever had. My local cobbler replaced the Velcro (for peanuts) and extended the life substantially!

Meejoir":hwr0bu5m said:
Are these special carbon inserts to enable a 2 bolt cleat (and would they take any 2 bolter, like a Time Atac cleat for example?). Or can they be swapped for a road type cleat? Or would you need to replace the carbon insert?
Yes, these shoes used different inserts depending on the pedal system. There would have been Look and Time inserts, in carbon or plastic. I'm not familiar with the Time Atac system, but from Googling it looks like it would work. From memory the carbon plate just had the twin slots, with the cleats bolting into the plate supplied with the SPDs.
Meejoir":hwr0bu5m said:
What's the Velcro like on them? Is it still the original?
Still original, and in good shape.

If you like, I can get more photos later.

Update: velcro on right shoe is absolutely fine, on the left shoe it is peeling very slightly on the middle and lower straps where it wraps around the loop. Cleats attach on to a four hole plate, middle two are SPDs - no idea what the front and rear ones are for. Anyone buying these shoes has just saved themselves half an hour in the workshop removing some duff Shimano bolts...

Attachments

• IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 689

I am kicking myself for letting these slip under my radar - apropos of nothing at all, but I bought the MTB version off these from Zebra, off head honcho Deno Davie (former Carrera stalwart and all round nice guy) hisself. I think they might be a bit later than 97, but not by much as I am sure I remember a two tone version of them being worn by Cipo at the Dublin prologue of the 98 TdF.
Either way, my shoes were passed on to my best mate for his daily commute and, as I understand it, are still going strong.
An absolute bargain I've missed. Rats.

Back