Altenberger, Campagnolo, Simplex: PRICES REDUCED.

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
A rummage has turned up the following which are surplus to requirements.

They are now just £16 each including postage.

Payment by bank transfer and I'm always up for a trade...

1) Altenberger Synchron dual-pivot brake calipers.
The first such brakes and dating from the Sixties or Seventies. They look to be NOS, save for the front brake blocks which show minimal wear (the rear are unmarked).

The steel of the block holders show some corrosion too and the calipers are lightly mottled. The flats of the nuts and the adjusters show no signs of use though.

I bought them to use, but they have a huge drop on them: 85mm to 95mm!

2) Campagnolo Nouvo Record seat post (unpolished top).
The post is marked 27.2 but my calipers measure it at 26.9x mm and is 110mm from the bottom to the ridge just below the flutes. It is lightly scratched from insertion but nothing that won't polish out, especially above 60/65mm.

However the clamp is damaged, presumably from being over-tightened, and I consider it beyond safe use.

I apologise for the quality of the close-ups, but in short the bottom part is split on one side (below where the rail sits) along its length and the top part has a split from the middle edge to the central bolt hole.

The black gunk on the top part scrapes off with a finger nail but bearing in mind the above this is academic.

3) Simplex Super LJ shifters.
The levers are in very good condition and with the benefit of a clean and polish will look minty!

Both screw heads are corroded, as is part of one of the washers: these are easily replaced.

The stops are also corroded but a little elbow grease will make the small part that is on show more than presentable.

Addendum to item 2):

Poggiali has suggested that the post might have been machined down from 27.2mm and I think he's right.

There is a distinct ridge below the flutes and bearing this in mind together with what my calipers read and the lack of a "minimum insertion mark" it seems certain that this is what has happened.

My thanks to P. for pointing out the obvious!

Interesting. I bought a Campag SR post like that once, stamped 27.2 but actually measured 27mm. Seller was a right PITA when I tried to get my money back. Nice to see this honest description.

Back