Carlton Bicycle Campagnolo Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro Raleigh

meerlaan

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
Hello All,

I have recently signed up to the forum as I have a few bikes to sell to fund a year long cycle across america!

The first bike I am looking to get rid of is my lovely racing bike which I thought might be of interest here.

Its a classic Carlton / Raleigh English Steel Racing bike from around late 70's early 80's.

with Full Campagnolo Nuovo Record Groupset

- Campagnolo Record hubs laced to Mavic MA40 rims, with beautiful Campagnolo Skewers
- Campagnolo Record 170 Strada cranks
- Campagnolo Record brakes and brake levers with Campagnolo gear and brake cable and white Campagnolo brake hoods.
- Cinelli Criterium handle bars with Fizik tape and chrome Cinelli end plugs.
- Pedals not included in sale.

Complete with Brooks Team Pro large copper rivet saddle and Campagnolo aero seat post 27.2mm

The Measurements are:
stand over height 82cm
down tube C-T 57cm
top tube C-C 56cm

I am not sure of the exact model of this bike, I was told it dates to around 1978 and was made by Carlton, perhaps a Carlton Professional it seems very similar. The original serial number underneath the bottom bracket has been filed off and a new number stamped into the frame : BD96LP which I have been unable to identify. I was able to make out a W and the beginning and a 9 at the end but the middle numbers are illegible.

This bike has been repainted in a lovely turquoise blue and professionally rebuilt, there are a few chips and signs of light rust (and some paint missing around the seat post bolt) and the bike could do with little clean, however it runs beautifully, brakes are snappy and gears work smoothly. Its just needs a bit of care and someone to enjoy it.

The first photographs show the bike after is was rebuilt a couple of years ago, please see the photos at the bottom that I took this week for condition. This bike is not my primary bike and has been stored in my garage when not in use. I haven't used it much and now I need the money.

The bike is located at my house in Brighton, and I would prefer to arrange collection, I am happy to meet somewhere in London for an extra £10 if this helps.

Looking for £450 or nearest offer.

Regards

Martin

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

15.JPG

Very Nice.

Skewer handles should always face to the rear though, the idea being that they can't catch on anything and be flipped open.

But I'm just being hyper critical :D

Robbied196":gxicqzmo said:
Very Nice.

Skewer handles should always face to the rear though, the idea being that they can't catch on anything and be flipped open.

But I'm just being hyper critical :D

Agree with the front one being wrong but the rear skewer is in the "euro" position as explained in the Velominati rules.

Mark.

Carlton Professional had sloping crown forks, chrome, non-cut out lugs and a more wrapped over seat cluster.......

Nicely made frame though, powder coat probably hides some of the lug detail.

Shaun

Thanks all, glad you like it! It really is beautiful to ride and I will be sad to see it go. You can have a look at what the money will be going towards here: www.cycling-south.co.uk still in the planning and raising cash stage the website will have some updates soon.

Someone else mentioned it could be a post code, does that mean it was made for someone (bespoke) as I would imagine it had to be done at the factory.

Yeah don't know what more I can say about the frame, I met someone who used to work for Holdsworth as a frame builder in the 1980's and he was intrigued by the frame and really liked it but couldn't identify it. It does have beautiful lug work and the brake bridge has nice spear point lugs where it meets the rear triangle which I believe the carlton professional doesn't have.

It has the campag shorter dropouts with the hole for a chain hanger :)

We used to stamp peoples post codes on the bikes we sold. All you need is a set of stampers and a hammer LOL

Shaun

Back