Pete Matthews handmade pianni wheels with hope hubs.

beenatitforyears

Dirt Disciple
I bought a bike for parts and these wheels came with it. I intended building them back up but my wife insist that I stop messing and start selling so here goes.* Thay are clinchers and 700*

** update, photos can be found at http://kmf.mikewoodmountain.co.uk/#5.0 posted there to get full size images in. moral to the story dont cock about at work posting things when you should do it at home. thanks **

Chances are if you are on this site you know Pete Matthews http://petematthews.com/home/ . He is an old school wheel builder who has built race winning wheels for the likes of Robert Miller. You will find reviews readily available on this site and Google.

The good bits. These wheels are rare, the hubs are made by hope and take a screw on freewheel, the hubs are smooth *butter smooth at the front but the rears would benefit from some new cartridge bearings, readily available almost anywhere* and the wheels are properly light. I have a pair of Pete's wheels on my bike and I think they are far better than anything modern. The rims have a slight Aero profile and have the Pete Matthews Pianni stickers still intact.

The bad. It looks like the mech had gone into the spokes and caused about 5 spokes to be damaged at the rear, some snapped. The front has one snapped spoke. The rims are obviously out of line as a result but a capable wheelsmith will be able to put them back to true.

The hub doesn't have the freewheel with it but the threads on the hub still look OK.

If you try and find a pair of these hubs or rims you won't they don't come up for sale very often even in this far from perfect condition. It would be nice if they went to a good home to live again.

If they were perfect they would be expensive but they are not perfect. I am not sure what is a realistic price so make me an offer that's sensible and you can have a nice summer project.

Sorry, didn't realise that I had to put a price, the hubs alone are worth 60 quid so lets go with that for a starting point. If that doesn't appear reasonable then let me know.

I have pictures but can't post them until I get home tonight and get my hands on a proper computer. Pictures will follow tonight.

As for price, sensible offers is the best guess I can give.

pete matthews wheels

That starting price for that bike and wheel set is a real bargain. I recently bought a new pair of wheels from petematthews.com and they are the best set of wheels I have ever bought. Cost me a lot more than £60 but worth every penny. Good Luck with the sale. :cool:

Just to make it clear, Pete Matthews wheels are not bladed spokes they are specially made for Pete with a round section at both ends and a flattened centre section.

Please, these were built by one of the best wheel builders in the country. That is why they are about 20 years old and not cracked as far as I can see.

I am riding a set of these wheels on my present bike and they are one of the best sets of wheels I have had.

The wheels are cheap enough and even the rims alone are worth a few quid as they are only available from Pete. Ultimately they are old wheels that need a rebuild but the parts that are there look OK and the price still looks appropriate to me. If you think I am asking too much then make me an offer.

I am not a trader, just a bloke who likes old British bike kit but has a wife that doesn't like a conservatory full of bits. Hence I am just trying to sell it on to someone who will use it at a reasonable price. I too have had hope hubs crack on a mountain bike from this era but I paid a whole lot more than I am asking for just one hub and again these look OK or I wouldn't be selling them.

It depends on who builds the wheels. I agree pete matthews has a great reputation. Look at the wheel builder and not the components. Get a good wheel builder and your wheels should last for years. That makes at least 2 of us that are happy with Petematthews.com wheels. :)

Back