Dawes galaxy tourer

stedlocks

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Something has come up that I want to raise some funds for, so some bikes have to make way.....this was my winter bike and is set up for me in the photos at 6'. Although it is a bit big for me, it is a very comfy, fast ride as it is.
61cm centre of BB to centre of TT, 57.5cm C to C on the top tube.
Reynolds 531 super tourist tubing
Drivetrain components are stronglight 80 triple crankset with virtually no wear.....the mechs and indexed shifters are shimano,again, with little to no wear. Shimano canti's make up the group set.
The pedals are lyotard quill type, and spin freely.
The wheels are a bullet proof set of maillard hubs laces to ales a rims, both spin true, but the front may be a bit gritty, but not so you would notice when riding......just to let you know.....
It has a 6x3 touring cassette on the rear and a vetta 'litegel' saddle and own brand sturdy rear rack....obviously all the associated braze ons that come with this iconic tourer.

There are some things to point out......
The previous owner has left it outside for a period of time and, as such, there is rust on some of the bolts and on and around the bottom bracket. There are quite a few scratches and some small areas of surface rust, there is a kink in the front mudguard and the bar tape needs replacing.....but it is 26 years old! It looks very nice from 6 foot away though!

I would have no qualms about loading this up and going touring on it......mechanically it is in really good shape and a good polish and new tape would be all this needs to be put into daily service for the commute or trainer......or world tour!

16363b58.jpg

a8b06e1c.jpg

4aed985f.jpg

76000459.jpg

I think £200 is a fair price for this as I have seen many for sale in worse shape than this for more.

Time is tricky for me at the moment, so I'll say collection from near Stansted airport for now, or you can arrange your own courier.....I can try to meet within reason etc......but that's not guaranteed....try me!

Thanks

Hi,

I have been on the lookout for a bike for my cousin who is doing a tour this summer and I reckon this could be just right. He is 6ft 4...

I have emailed him the link, can you hold it for a day?

Looks like a sweet ride,
thanks,
matt

I'm the cousin of Mr. Gumby (the guy who asked you the first question above) and I'm interested in this lovely bike. Two questions: How much does it weigh? And is the rear panier rack included?

Hi, I'm not sure on the weight as I have no scales.....I'm sure google will turn up an answer for you.....as to the rack, it comes as per the photos......
Hope this helps ;0)

Hello, tall fat Galaxy expert here. That's a beauty! It'll weigh around the 32lb mark but DO NOT let that put you off; it's a bullet proof mile muncher.
That's a 25" frame so it'll suit anyone 6'2" to 6'7". Hope this helps.

Thanks buddy, I must admit though, doing the old tried and tested 'bloke down the pub said he can lift it with one finger' test, it feels quite light for a big tourer :0)

Latest posts

Back