Archie wilkinson cycle speedway bike

stedlocks

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Not sure which section to put this in......? Mods, feel free to move it if it is wrong!

A very nice Archie wilkinson cycle speedway bike.
This is the intermediate size, but I can ride it comfortably as it is in the pictures and I'm 6'.
It is 17" centre to centre on the seat tube and 21" centre to centre on the top tube.
The wheels are upgraded from the stock wheels that come with the bike , and currently are on special offer on the site at £60.....they have quando hubs and are laced to Weinmann Zac 2400 rims which have never seen a brake, hand built and absolutely bullet proof....these are built to take some stick!
The tyres are schwalbe 26" speedway pro tyres with loads of life left in them, but some slight cracking.
The cranks are truvativ isoflow.
It is obviously a single speed and has no brakes at all, but is drilled for brakes front and rear should you want to fit them!
The bike is in very good condition, but does have some scrapes from "racing incidents"!!!
Who is brave enough to ride this bad boy on the street?

051c5576.jpg

d7f1939e.jpg

Given the upgraded wheels, I think £120 collected from near stansted airport is fair for this unusual machine.

Great fun bike, i have had a few Archie Wilkinson bikes in the past and have never had any problems.
Ideal entry bike for the world of cycle speedway, if you have'nt tryed it you should, brilliant fun in a brutal and sometimes painful way.

But as the man says, a funky road bike also...

Archie Wilkinson

Hi,
Really interested in the AW speedway bike...
Couple of questions:
Is the rear hub/dropout 120mm?
Is it a freewheel (as opposed to fixed)? What sort of rear hub is it - ie. is there a reverse-thread for a lock ring for running fixed?
What material is the frame?
Is the seatpost long enough to raise the saddle to 'normal' (road)-riding height for you (I'm also 6')?
Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim, I'll tell you what I can!
These are the wheels

http://www.archie-wilkinson.co.uk/Pair- ... -hubs.html
they have a freewheel and as far as I can see don't have a reverse thread....that can be overcome though, can't it?

The frame is steel and according to my ruler, the dropouts are about 112mm?

Tis picture shows the saddle at its maximum limit line......which is about 1cm lower than I would like it to be for the road, but higher than I would have my MTB saddle.....makes sense?

f889fb3d.jpg

You are more than welcome to come and have a go!

Just realised the wheels are probably 26 x 1 3/8, ie. ISO 590mm not 559mm - is that right?
Do you know if there is there enough clearance to run 700C wheels?

Back