Carlton Super Course 1980 Original 531 throughout

gs425

Retro Newbie
This is a quite rare original condition top of the range Carlton, one of the last from the Worksop factory. This bike was offered to me by its original (and only) owner.
The paint and decals are as youd expect on a 32 yr old bike, but would clean up well enough for me to be proud of it.
There are a few touch up spots on the stays and rust spots to be expected, both would benefit from a hard cutting polish.

HOWEVER knowing how sought after these are, I was going to do a proper as-new respray and rebuild (since new decals are available),

Frame - 22.5" WH000S540 531 all round.
Wheels - Raleigh 622-17 700C concave what i call 'w' section rims. These run true to my eye - certainly within 0.5mm, which is a miracle. Stickers intact.
Handlebars and stem - Raleigh alu. Possibly original tape. Looks manky enough...
Hubs - Normandy Luxe Competition - stickers intact
Tryes - Raleigh rear Vee Rubber front (very retro) both amber walled.
Pedals - SR SP100AL with Christophe clips and leather straps. original alu end caps.
Chainset - Raleigh drilled all alu. Not seen any markings and havent tooth-counted yet!
Changers - Suntour Cyclone, with semi-ratcheting shifters, suntour cable guides.
Brakes - Weinmann 605 quick release with wheel guides. Surprisingly the cables seem in original brown casing too.
Levers - Weinmann drilled with original hoods.
Seat post - Raleigh with cast-in rail mount
Seat – bike had been used with waterproof cover, so the original suede seat is like new!
Rear block - six speed close ratio

Amazingly, the only thing that doesn’t look original fitment is the front tyre!

Bike is in Dorset, ideally collect it, but I can try to help meet someone as I sometimes work around the country, or will shrink wrap it if you trust a carrier!

First £190 secures, I’d like to sell it on here before it goes on the ‘bay and someone ruins its heritage with a fixie job…ugh!!
Gary 07944 767747

Attachments

• IMAG1226.jpg
    IMAG1226.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 5,179
  • IMAG1209.jpg
    IMAG1209.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 5,172
  • IMAG1206.jpg
    IMAG1206.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 5,171
I was a bit miffed today
I have just gone and bought myself a Claude Butler San Remo alu framed road bike to hack around on in the summer...and it weighs 2 lbs more than this 1980 Carlton!

I feel ripped off!! 30 plus years of development PAH!
:shock:

Gary, wow - just found your post here. Did you ever part with this bike? I have an 1981 all original too. Same saddle, trim, etc as your picture. I was intrigued to see you say decals are available - do you have a source you can share?

Thanks!

Re:

Hi I have the exact bike all same set up 1980 worksop have you still got these bikes as its 40 years old now.

Re: Re:

gcharley1":3jz2a0io said:
Hi I have the exact bike all same set up 1980 worksop have you still got these bikes as its 40 years old now.

Resurrecting a very old post, you are :) Not exactly sure what did you meant by your comment - looking for one like this?

Re:

No sorry just wondering if you still had them bikes to show, if so join the carlton cycles of worksop Facebook page

Back