Bontrager Road Lite - SOLD

benbonty

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Unfortunately the time has come for me to face facts and admit to myself that my beautiful and long sought Bontrager Road Lite is too big for me. Initially I am looking to swap with another Road Lite in either 'medium' or 'large' and will entertain either full bike or frame only swaps. This is a beautiful and rather rare machine, made more so by the inclusion of the Kestrel carbon fork which was an expensive optional extra available to the customer when purchasing the full bike new.

I've tried to make it fit but it just isn't happening I'm afraid. I have no room for bikes I can't use at our place and I'm liking the idea of evening road blasts around the countryside now that the evenings are getting lighter! Here is thread I posted when I first got the bike:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187881

There are a few more photos here and I'd be more than happy to take further detail shots if you want them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68742306@N ... 650742383/

Let me know if you want any more info. The whole lot is in fantastic condition as per the photos, there aren't even any scratches at all as far as I can find and the parts show very little wear. I'm no Campagnolo expert, but I believe it is all Chorus apart from the front mech and hubs which are Record. The other spec. includes syncros post, Salsa stem, scott bars, handbuilt wheels and NOS specialized Turbo tyres. I'm not sure if I want to part with the whole lot, or just the frame and forks.

I will be selling if I can't find a 'large' (or even medium) to swap it for.

Now for sale. Asking a lot less than I paid, I would like £995 Ono

Hello -

Would you describe this frame as "extra large" then? I'd buy this frame irrespective of spec or condition, but measurements are a dealbreaker... Can you post some measurements?

It's a bit personal, but... how tall are you?

Tx
Alistair

i-am-iron-man":ybgt1u1u said:
Would you describe this frame as "extra large" then? I'd buy this frame irrespective of spec or condition, but measurements are a dealbreaker... Can you post some measurements?

It's a bit personal, but... how tall are you?

Hello there,

The frame is what Bontrager called an 'XL' yes, please see the geometry table below. This is taken from the 1996 Bontrager brochure, to which I've added a link below the chart.

I am just under 6ft, but I have shortish legs and a longer body :? :LOL:

Here is the 1996 brochure. I think this is earlier than 1996 as it has the slimmer wishbone, but the dimensions are correct.

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge ... er1996.pdf

Keith tells me that is is certainly a Santa Cruz Built frame.

Will definitely be interested if you don't manage to find somebody to swap with and choose to sell instead...Unfortunately I don't have a smaller version of this tucked away anywhere...

Theeb":ephq3cqc said:
Will definitely be interested if you don't manage to find somebody to swap with and choose to sell instead...Unfortunately I don't have a smaller version of this tucked away anywhere...

I'm not holding my breath to be honest mate, it took me years to find this one! Got to be worth a try though! I'll let you know if/when it comes to selling. Thank you for your interest.

gil_m":1twzsu2s said:
Not sure if this would work for you but how about a "Large" Bonty CX...

Oooooh.... Yes I'm interested mate, do you have any photos? Would it be a full bike swap? Thanks in advance.....

Can't seem to fnd my post for it but here's a couple of photos, hadn't really given it much thought until now as I wasn't sure if you would be keen...PM me if you want to take it further :)

Attachments

• IMG_6347a.jpg
    IMG_6347a.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,843
  • IMG_6346a.jpg
    IMG_6346a.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,843
  • IMG_6342a.jpg
    IMG_6342a.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,843
gil_m":3t3zoc3g said:
Can't seem to fnd my post for it but here's a couple of photos, hadn't really given it much thought until now as I wasn't sure if you would be keen...PM me if you want to take it further :)

Thanks Gil, it's lovely and I've always fancied one.... Unfortunately I was looking at the geometry last night and I think I may have the same problem with the size..... According to the brochure, a Large CX has a taller stand over height than an Extra Large Road Lite, and is only marginally shorter in the top tube....... I'll look into it a bit further mate.......

Yeah was doing the same against the XL Road lite..

Might need to confirm the measurements on the CX, not 100% sure it's as big as it's listed on the catalogue, or might even be a Medium...

Stupid thing is the head tube is 131mm so makes the CX a Large but stand it next to my XL Ti-Lite and stand over is exactly the same give or take 3mm, certainly not the nearly 3" it shows on the grid... :?

..don't you love Bonty sizes :?

Back