Not that retro but rare and lovely BOREAS IGNIS - SOLD

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have finally purchased a new frame and after umming and arhing I've decided to part with my Boreas Ignis frame.

Boreas was a Danish company and offshoot of Principia. They were famed for their extraordinarily high quality of metal engineering - and I believe went out of business because of the cost of producing a limited number of frames. They had their own al/ti alloy tubesets made and machined their signature headtubes. In addition all frames were anodised and then painted for maximum durability.

Mine has a 540mm top tube and 520mm seat tube (measured centre to centre). It's very light at around 1200g and stiff, but also reasonably forgiving. It's a bit of a rocket ship really.

It's generally in very condition with a bit of light cable rub and some chips to the paint on the underside of the driveside chainstay - from some extreme chain slap on the Flanders cobbles.

After £175 plus insured postage for it. REDUCED TO £125

Here is what Boreas said:

Boreas Tubing
All frame tubes are designed and developed by Boreas, even the alloy itself. Based on 7005 Boreas tubes have 1% Zinc (Zn) and 1% Titanium (Ti) added. The Zinc together with the obligatory anodising (all painted frames are also anodised under the paint) make for a very corrosion resistant frame. The addition of Titanium makes the alloy less brittle with better strength. Among other performance benefits this means the frame material will not shatter or become razor sharp in the event of a violent crash, but will merely deform. Performance and safety as standard in every model.

Head Tube / Bottom Bracket
Unique Boreas barrel shaped head tube and bottom bracket shell optimise strength, stiffness and weld area. Each head tube is individually machined specific to frame size and the beautiful cable routing is a master piece of engineering. Joining tubes have the highest tolerance mitres for perfect welds.

Warranty / Crash Replacement
Every Boreas frame is bead blasted and anodised even before painting in order to resist corrosion and protect your investment. All Boreas frames come with double standard warranty, equivalent to ten years with the original owner. Boreas also offers frame crash replacement so that if ill-fortune should strike during racing or training, and the frame is damaged beyond repair, you will be able to purchase a new Boreas frame at half price.

· Weight: 1340 g (size 56 cm)
· Cane Creek integrated headset required

Boreas:
Boreas is a new bicycle brand brilliantly designed and expertly engineered in Denmark. With 8 years of experience designing bike frames for other leading European bicycle manufacturers, creator of Boreas Bjarke Rasmussen, now delivers every advantage of his experience and expertise into the Boreas road bike frame range.Never before has a new brand established such an impressive reputation so quickly. Rarely has a road bike frame achieved such results. With low weight, extreme stiffness, perfect geometry and unsurpassed quality, Boreas confirms it’s position of excellence in 2006. Bike frames from Boreas offer a new experience of speed, comfort and control.

Attachments

• boreas 001.JPG
    boreas 001.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 2,495
  • boreas 002.JPG
    boreas 002.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,495
  • boreas 003.JPG
    boreas 003.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 2,495
  • boreas 004.JPG
    boreas 004.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 2,495
These were very nice but came out at a time when Principia was at their peak in the domestic Danish market and Boreas was perceived as being a made-in-Taiwan copy.

Which essentially, it was.

The name as bought out around 2003 and has been pretty much left out to dry by its owner.

I knew the later Principias were Taiwanese but I thought they built these in Denmark. This one is from 2006 and was imported into the UK through USE.

Either way, it's beautifully engineered and well made and goes like the clappers.

Between you and me - Taiwanese Principias were less prone to breakage than Danish ones.

This is a nice frame - it'll make someone happy!

Will include very light full carbon fork Boreas fork (that I was planning to use on my new frame) in excellent condition for the £125.

Some pictures of the fork, as requested...

Attachments

• boreas_fork 001.JPG
    boreas_fork 001.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,039
  • boreas_fork 002.JPG
    boreas_fork 002.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,039
  • boreas_fork 003.JPG
    boreas_fork 003.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,039
Bump. Here's how it looks with wheels if that helps...

Attachments

• boreas_build 001.JPG
    boreas_build 001.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,912
Back