SOLD Pete Matthews built Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro wheels

OldFatTi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Pete Matthews built Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro wheels for sale

Beautiful, practical, durable & lightweight traditional handbuilt wheelset, perfect for our nasty British roads!

Mavic Open Pro 32-hole rims in silver built 3-cross onto polished silver Shimano Ultegra 6500 hubs (made in Japan, not Malaysia) with polished silver Sapim stainless spokes & brass nipples for longevity and ease of truing.

I've had the hubs stripped and rebuilt/re-greased for winter by my LBS, as apparently Shimano tend to under-grease their hubs at the factory and don't use the best quality grease so the grease has been replaced with a heavy duty "winter-spec higher viscosity" grease which lasts basically forever according to my fastidious mechanic!!

Velox rim tapes and Ultegra skewers included.

These wheels are fantastic, they have seen very little use (about 150 dry miles in total!) and there is not even any braking surface wear - you can still see the Mavic UB Control machining lines and the brake tracks are super clean - not even the usual black residue from the pads!

Everything runs smooth and true. Not ridden since the grease upgrade so just as good as new really (maybe better?!)

Price is £175 + £12 UK delivery in a proper wheel box, will send worldwide at cost.

I can get an as new Ultegra 6600 cassette 10-spd 12-25 fitted for £30 extra with the wheels too if required, and can get tyres/tubes fitted for a little extra if needed.

Also have a 9-spd 105 cassette I can get fitted for £20 extra if you are running 9-speed.

Full flickr album of pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70434978@N ... 233563059/

Would you take an offer of £150 including postage? Apologies if this is lower than you're looking for - that this the top end of my budget.

Received the wheels today - thanks.

I was disappointed to find out that the "proper wheel box" was actually a used cardboard box.

nigelp":18387poj said:
Received the wheels today - thanks.

I was disappointed to find out that the "proper wheel box" was actually a used cardboard box.

Hi Nigel, glad you've received the wheels OK.

But what was the problem with the box? I packed them up very well to ensure they were well protected and that is indeed a proper wheel box from Chain Reaction Cycles, that my new wheels were sent in. It was very sturdy packaging.

The wheels were well packed and arrived in excellent condition - no complaints there.

I apologise if I misunderstood you, but I had assumed that a "proper wheel box" was something other than a used cardboard box. Maybe that was my mistake.

Back