Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:23 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

one-eyed_jim wrote:
Your stop plate is for the lower pivot, Ned. You can see it in situ here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MAVIC ... 0880046070

(Still searching for my bag of old MAVIC bits...)

Thanks Jim. That's cleared that up! Never considered there'd be one at the bottom as well. I do still need a top one then.

And a few other bits :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

If the offer's still open I'd like 2 please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:00 am 
Retro Guru

Sorry I've been quiet for a few days, had a minor catastrophe to deal with, but all is OK again now :-) I count 36 so far, that includes 1 extra for every person who has asked, ie: if you wanted 1 you get 2, want 2 get 3 etc :-) Its just easier this way.

Will start knocking them out after I post some long overdue items to some friends in here. With running slightly behind myself, it'll most likely be Tuesday before I have a good prototype fitted to my own 801. I'll then post pics of it as is & fitted to my bike. If all are happy and there are no obvious issues I have over looked, I'll knock the rest out.

Thinking a round 50 should do the trick. Can't see anyone "not having 1" after that amount. Later everyone, yours Laz.

PS: public apologies to those waiting for the items I sold last week, I was just in an unavoidable dilemma. All bagged and ready to go first thing Monday, 1st class :-) Sorry guys, yours Laz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 am 
Old School Grand Master

Old Ned wrote:
I'll take one as well. I have a mech with a broken bottom pivot 'bolt' that holds the cage to the body. Apart from this - and the missing 'plate' - it's OK. Anyone got a bottom pivot bolt spare?

Oh, and possibly the 'nut' that fastens it to the cage? Mine still has the broken 'stub' of the bolt in it and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it out.

I've found my bag of MAVIC bits, and I've got the bolt you need, Ned. Drop me a PM with your address, and I'll get it on its way. I have the nut as well - it's cracked like yours, but it's free of the bolt, and it's yours if you can use it.

I'm going to have most of a mech's worth of parts left over when I've made two good mechs out of the parts I have, so I'll get a picture of the leftover parts up in the next few days in case anyone else needs bits and pieces.

Laz, I've found my original top plate. It's made from 2.0mm stainless, basically in the form of a washer - 12mm internal, 18mm external - with a 7mm tab at 3 o'clock ...

Perhaps I need to make a drawing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:44 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Jim, that's marvellous. Many thanks for this, I'll PM you now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:13 am 
Retro Guru

Hi everyone :-) Sorry I'm late responding, but I'm now sick as a dog with a virus .... I'm basically death on legs :-( God I'm in the wars lately. I'll get back to you all soon when I'm up & running again :-) Cheers yours Laz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:24 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Old Ned wrote:
As promised, here's a couple of shots of the bits I've got. The first is of all parts and you can see the 'plate/washer' in the centre. It's different to Laz's one. The second shot shows it fitted onto the top pivot bolt where it seems to fit quite happily. The 'joggle' seems to take up the 'slack' between the mech and the dropout and the 'sticky-out bit' must rest against the notch in the dropout. I've not actually fitted this to a frame as yet to see.

Why can't things ever be simple!?

I've been fitting the bits that Jim has now sent me - and again I'm a bit perplexed (very easily done!). The lower section of the body (where the cage pivot spring etc. goes) has only a grub screw on the rear top surface (as can be seen in my photo) whereas other mechs I've seen have a pair of cast-in 'ridges' against which the 'tang' of the lower washer rests. Which mech have I got exactly? 801, 851, SSC ?

In addition, the circular 'nut' that attaches the cage to the body is broken, it should be completely circular. The one Jim has sent me is the same - as are lots I've seen on mechs for sale etc. Must be a very common fault. This means that the cage can 'rock' a bit when fitted which is probably not good! Would a thin washer fitted on the inside be a solution? Or try and machine a new one in mild steel?

Attachments:
MavicMechParts.1.A.jpg
MavicMechParts.1.A.jpg [ 181.34 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:23 pm 
Old School Hero

The 84 Mavic catalogue at velobase.com shows the 801 with a grub screw.

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2334&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Interestingly, the 1980 catalogue shows an 800 using the same grub screw but a totally different design of stop plate on the top pivot. Does anyone have a close up of one of these ?

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2189&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:23 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Simplex wrote:
The 84 Mavic catalogue at velobase.com shows the 801 with a grub screw.

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2334&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Interestingly, the 1980 catalogue shows an 800 using the same grub screw but a totally different design of stop plate on the top pivot. Does anyone have a close up of one of these ?

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2189&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Yes, I've seen those scans but - mine has the 'flat' front plate with the printed Mavic not the recessed type. How many different variants were there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:15 am 
Old School Grand Master

Simplex wrote:

There's a NOS/NIB MAVIC 800 rear mech on eBay.fr just now with that style of stop plate:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Derailleur-MAVIC-ser ... 0700782293

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next