1965(ish) 23"FlyingScot, free to good home Glasgow coll

igm

Retro Newbie
Just popped in from Singletrackworld again, so I'll start by apologising for using this site to offload old bikes. Check out my history on STW if you want to know who I am.

However - my parents are moving home and were about to take this 60's road bike to the charity shop - where they would probably have junked it. They don't want anything for it but I think it is a bike someone might want so here it is.

Now some of this is from memory, some don't get too upset if I get it slightly wrong. The bike is in Glasgow and I am in York so I can't check any details for you either. But from memory it's a nice bike though it will need some love and attention (ie it's a bit rusty and hasn't been ridden in a number of years), but it is pretty much original.

Bought new from Rattrays on Alexandria Parade by my father in (we think) 1965, for a touring holiday in Ireland with my mother. Five speed (Campag as I recall) and a very decent bike in it's day.

If your able to get to Glasgow to collect (they are ten minutes walk from a railway station if needs be, but don't assume you will be able to ride away) and you are interested then drop me a line.

Iain

OK. An orderly queue has formed which I'm taking in order of first PM first. I trust that is considered reasonable.

Whomever was lucky enough to collect this, can you please post pics? My own Scot is a '64 so I am curious to see it.

looks like the seller/give away chap was got at as he never contacted anybody with a pm.....unlesss of course more than one name has been used....hope whoever got is happy with it and themselves....

OK guys the first PM I received was from Kaiser on behalf of Mr Panda. Having spoken to Mr P and checked him out on this site, I was happy that he got the bike and I passed the details to my parents. They have now spoken to him and he should be picking the bike up about now. If he's a no show (and he won't be) then the next guy who PMed me is up for the same checking I did on Mr P.

In terms of someone getting to me - come on. I was giving away a Flying Scot with original equipment. If I was "getable" I'd have been selling it. Even in need of a full strip down to bare metal, it would have made something. As it is not a penny has changed hands.

My father bought the bike to go on a tour of Ireland with my mother 46 years ago just before the troubles began. They don't need the money, but they do want the bike to go to someone who will restore it, ride it and look after it - preferably near Glasgow.

Now I've respected their wishes. No one has lost out. One guy has just won himself a bill for shot blasting/paint stripping and building up from there.

If anyone wants to know where they were on the list then let me know.

Latest posts

Back