Huret Deraillieur

PurleySquire

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Could anyone make use of this salvaged item? The number stamped on the back is 3781. It appears to be free and workable if a little grubby. It was rescued from a dumped Raleigh 10 speed in 70s bronze.

£5 by PayPal gift to cover postage.

huret.jpg

HI purleysquire, might be interested in this. My lad has a Peugeot road bike from the 80's which I think is a 10 speed. The mech got snarled up in his spokes a while back, so its off the road. I will get back to you very shortly when I have called him, Kram

This is a Huret Eco from the 37th week of 1981. It will work on six-speed (12 speed) easily and is actually designed for it.

This is some info from Dirsaeligears:

To replace the venerable Svelto, Huret took their Challenger/Success design, tweaked it by increasing the cage length and rendered it in their very best pressed steel and rivets. Note how, as standard, the pulley cage is attached in the lower hole (labelled ‘28 teeth’) in the front knuckle. The upper hole is labelled ‘24 teeth’.

Huret’s timing was good, because the Huret Eco (short for economical not for ecological) was able to benefit from the rise in prices of Japanese derailleurs as the Yen revalued. Europe and Japan had swapped places - with Europe supplying the low-price, low-tech, steel Eco and Japan supplying the higher-price, higher-tech aluminium SunTour Vx and Shimano 600.

The Eco gave survivable performance at a very low price. I have to confess that I personally (slightly reluctantly) sold, fitted and repaired hundreds of Eco’s.

Hope that helps!

Back