1982 Batavus Professional SP size 60 *SOLD*

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Offering 1982 Batavus Professional Columbus SP

Great quality frame nicely crafted by Batavus own small race department in Heerenveen. The Batavus Professional was the Gazelle Champion Mondial's natural contender in Dutch racing. Internationally the Professional has a nice palmares too with Olympic Gold, Silver and World-titles.

This particular frame is a very interesting example with many extra's: headtube with contrasting colour, internal routing and additional chrome to name a couple. This was the 1st year for internal routing btw. I have never seen internal routing with a Professional this early.

Tasty looks imho!

Features:
- full Columbus SP
- Bocama long point lugs, enamelled cut outs
- Dardanne open shell
- Campagnolo 1010B ends and drop outs
- chromed fork, drive side chainstay and drop outs
- metal headbadge
- headtube in contrasting colour
- color = pearl beige
- Seattube 60cm c-t

Condition:
Falls short for concours winning example, but does very well for a rider. There are multiple scratches in paint. Some are deep, especially on the toptube. I covered the most significant under a Shimano sticker. You could source similar sticker in the colour of the graphics quite easily I think, but I leave that to the next owner. No rust. Structurally 100% sound. As I said: will build into great rider, with the qualities we all love about Dutch racing bikes. View the many pics.

Looking for 180 gbp shipped

I will pack using foam tubing and everything will go into sturdy bike box.

5669696428_123a009ce5_b.jpg

5669125635_c00c2c3ccb_b.jpg

5669695224_6edd207ea3_b.jpg

5669698026_34ee1d7b28.jpg
5669701910_c8a82045cb.jpg

5669133473_efe7849247.jpg
5669129611_8a344947f3.jpg

5669699056_923561fa12.jpg

5669132341_79a54d5151.jpg

Yes, it is a great looker. I had hoped to be able to set the price a little lower, but with the current exchange rate that is not going the happen. A next owner won't regret anyway. Imo the Professional is one of the most underrated frames/bikes in the marketplace.

Currently I am busy photographing all my Professional frames and bikes. Together with a write up on history, palmares, model overview I hope to compile a source in future.

is that:

Frame sizes: 52-83 cm (every 1 cm available) :shock:

or (more likely)

Frame sizes: 52-63 cm (every 1 cm available)

Not long ago I spoke to an person who were racing criteriums in the 70s and early 80s. Critriums are many tight bends that require extreme braking and sprinting and that on often poor innercity road surfaces. He told me that he once had a Gios Torino constructed of SL in front of him and that the shell disconnected from the seattube, leading to some slapstick scene where bracket with stays and DT connected dropped to the ground.

Bottom line is that would have been less likely with SP tubing. In those years Batavus always specced SP if the rider opted for Columbus. From the late 80s on Batavus specced SL with frames up to 58cm and SP for everything larger, in case buyer opted for Columbus.

I've had a few Batavus's now and can vouch for their quality. This is a lovely example, will build into something very special for sure.

Back