Fongers Professional chassis with Dura-Ace bits

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I am offering a 1980 Fongers Professional frameset

Fongers (Groningen, The Netherlands) is a brand with a great reputation. Fongers is widely considered as the most prestigious builder of the traditional Dutch-bike. Fongers bicycles were both innovative and lasted a lifetime. The royal family of Holland and the Dutch army were among their clients. As Fongers supplied to the upper class, Fongers never offered a roadbike (= working class) under their name untill 1973. By 1973 market conditions for very high end bikes built in small series with a lot labour involved had declined, so Intercycle/Batavus purchased Fongers.

This particular 1980 Fongers Professional roadframe I am offering was raced by the Van Eyck amateur team in Holland. It is built by the small race department in Heerenveen that also built the Batavus Professional frames. Apart from graphics and head badge the frame is pretty much a Batavus Professional.

Like with the Batavus the Fongers Professional lugs are supplied by Bocama and for tubing you could choose between Reynolds 531 Competition or Columbus SP. The Fongers was available as full bike with Nuovo Record or Dura-Ace or frameset only including Nuovo Record or Dura-Ace headset.

The frame I am offering now uses SP tubing and it has Dura-Ace headset and shifters fitted.

A Fongers Professional can be considered very rare.

I am asking 160 GBP for frame, including the Dura-Ace bits, 1979 Fongers catalogue with price list and shipping.

Features:
- full Columbus SP tubing
- Bocama Super Professional long point lugs, cut outs enameled in contrast colour
- Cinelli crown
- half chrome blades
- Campagnolo fork ends and drop outs, 1010B with 'portacatena' feature
- Shimano on top BB cable guides
- pinstriping for headlugs
- blue pearlescent paint
- seattube 53cm c-t

Condition:
The Van Eyck team member it originally belonged to sweat quit a bit above the toptube, what caused a rusty area under the cable between guide 1 and 2. Apart from that bit of patina the condition of the Fongers is nice to very nice given the age.

Comes with:
- Dura-Ace headset
- Dura-Ace shifters
- Fongers catalogue of the same year, including the bike
- Fongers price list

More pics available on request.

5383773249_34dae798eb_b.jpg

5384379660_b7e41382e3_z.jpg
5383775955_7d356a10fe_z.jpg

5383774339_be6348ab72_z.jpg
5384378604_1261982f97_z.jpg

5383775481_1d10a833a3_z.jpg
5384377196_4073a8455e_z.jpg

Hi Z,

Additional measurements:

Toptube 535mm
Rear spacing 125mm
Seat post 27.0

I think I will be able to supply a post in case requested.

In post #1 I mentioned the resemblance with the Batavus Professional. You do not need a very trained eye to see where I was talking about >>>

5645513637_952dacd228_b.jpg

More of this Batavus frame on VeloBase

Both Professionals also use the same serial# system.

I am planning to create a Batavus Professional source somewhere in near future, hence I am enjoying being busy with and going after this stuff.

Back