Wtd: Rear pannier rack for 700c wheel

leelovesbikestoo

Old School Hero
Looking for a rear rack for road bike.

Pref silver with fittings but anything considered. Condition not too important as long as it can take a load!

Dead Rats":e4ew5isy said:
three or four point fixing?

I have eyelets on the dropouts but not at the top of the seat stays, so I guess I could p-clip it to the stays (FTR the seat stays meet at the seat cluster)

leelovesbikestoo":2n9hrtbs said:
Dead Rats":2n9hrtbs said:

I have eyelets on the dropouts but not at the top of the seat stays, so I guess I could p-clip it to the stays (FTR the seat stays meet at the seat cluster)

so there's no hole in seatstay bridge? just to clarify! :D

Dead Rats":108o51xc said:
leelovesbikestoo":108o51xc said:
Dead Rats":108o51xc said:

so there's no hole in seatstay bridge? just to clarify! :D

Ah sorry, yes there's a bridge for the calipers.

I have one for sale, 4 point fixing - ie it bolts to eyelets at the dropouts and then has two collars (with adjustable pitch and reach so you can tailor it to your frame size) which clamp round the seat stays. It's wise to use some electricians' tape under these clamps to get a snug fitavoid marking your paintwork. It's coated steel, a very plain jane finish, and it's not that pretty - the coating has flaked in a couple of places... but you could easily strip it and respray, or indeed take the coating off it and polish it up. Now that I've talked it down a bit... :LOL: it is in good structural condition, very strong and will outlast any bike it's bolted to, I should think! I would personally sit on it and I don't think it would break, and I'm 15 stone. Yours for a fiver plus postage.

I'm sure Al will come up with something prettier if that's what you're after :D

djoptix":epkiia3c said:
I have one for sale, 4 point fixing - ie it bolts to eyelets at the dropouts and then has two collars (with adjustable pitch and reach so you can tailor it to your frame size) which clamp round the seat stays. It's wise to use some electricians' tape under these clamps to get a snug fitavoid marking your paintwork. It's coated steel, a very plain jane finish, and it's not that pretty - the coating has flaked in a couple of places... but you could easily strip it and respray, or indeed take the coating off it and polish it up. Now that I've talked it down a bit... :LOL: it is in good structural condition, very strong and will outlast any bike it's bolted to, I should think! I would personally sit on it and I don't think it would break, and I'm 15 stone. Yours for a fiver plus postage.

I'm sure Al will come up with something prettier if that's what you're after :D

I was just going to say that the 4 point ones are better and I'm all out, I have a couple of ancient chromed ones, but they look like they're for light load only, and I think they're designed for 26 x 1 3/8" roadsters so would take some bodging to fit or you'd have to send it back (or both!)

No maker's mark, material will be plain guage steel at a guess! Honestly, it really is a basic bit of kit. I will get you a picture ASAP...

Back