WTD: 700c Wheels, rear mech/chainset/levers

GordonB

Retro Guru
Having shed several stone in weight I've got back on my beloved Holdsworth Mistral (put it together 31 years ago, still works beautifully) but I'd like to keep it for those special days so I'm putting together a project bike based on a 1980s French Mecacycle frame and I need a variety of parts to build it up. Seat post and front mech are sort of taken care of - seat post is quill fitting and I have an original, front mech attachment is specific to the Mecacycle and I'm modifying an old Sachs Huret to fit - and I have some Shimano 600 brakes that will do the job ok.

However, I need wheels, preferably with tyres, rear mech, cassette, chainset, levers and possibly bars, stem, levers as well. I'm looking for reasonable original-ish kit but not too fussy, Shimano 600 kit would be around right. Wheels I would prefer to be fitted with tyres and the rear must fit 126mm spacing, the chainstays are so short on this frame I'm reluctant to spread them to take 130mm. The tyres need to be as small a profile as possible, the clearances on the Mecacycle forks are nothing short of ludicrous - tubs might be better!. I'd like the rear one to come with a six or seven speed cassette, preferably a Shimano HG. I'm looking for indexed shifting and would welcome advice on the best setup to go with.

My knowledge of bikes is patchy in comparison to many but I always welcome advice and opinion - just don't expect me to unfailingly take it!

I'm in Suffolk so if you are in East Anglia I'd be happy to pick stuff up. PM me for further contact details.

Gordon

A Mecacycle eh! Like you say, not a lot of clearances! I've got a brochure for those which I keep intending to put into the archive. Part of the MBK group I believe.

I do have a few bits that might be of interest to you so I'll PM you soon.

Old Ned":5sc8292f said:
A Mecacycle eh! Like you say, not a lot of clearances! I've got a brochure for those which I keep intending to put into the archive. Part of the MBK group I believe.

I do have a few bits that might be of interest to you so I'll PM you soon.

I would love a copy of the brochure! If anyone else has any information or original parts from a Mecacycle, especially the front mech, I'd be extremely interested. 3T also did a set of bars specifically for the bike, they have Mecacycle engraved on the centre section and are in three parts.

Gordon

You've spurred me into action! Here are the copies of the brochure. Is yours like this?

Attachments

• MecacycleFrame.2.A.jpg
    MecacycleFrame.2.A.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 575
  • MecacycleFrame.1.A.jpg
    MecacycleFrame.1.A.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 575
That's my frame! The second photo is most like mine as it has chrome forks and rear triangle. The main difference is that on mine the whole of the rear triangle including the seat tube(s) and bottom bracket shell are chromed but someone has had it resprayed and they rubbed down the seat tube and bb shell so the chrome is damaged. I've stripped the frame ready to get it powder coated and I also have a set of original transfers coming to go on it.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back