Roy Manser frame - now sold

Bultaco370

Retro Guru
Due to a change of plans this lovely little frame is up for sale. I intended on building it up for a few club 10s but that won’t happen now.

It was built by the late Roy Manser from Kent and is beautifully fillet brazed. There are no indications of what tubing has been used but I believe he used a mixture of Reynolds and Columbus and the frame is pretty light for steel so that would make sense.

Supplied with a very nice Campag headset.

Dimensions are as follows:

Seat tube : 50cm c-t
Top tube : 50cm c-c

There are a few scratches to the paint which is a shame as it has a lovely design. Seatpost size is 27.2mm and bottom bracket thread is English.

Looking for £150 but open to offers. Located near Hinckley but I can ship within UK at extra cost.

Attachments

• 4CEE2485-574E-4886-A420-B42AF9F7032E.jpeg
    4CEE2485-574E-4886-A420-B42AF9F7032E.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,038
  • CBDA8694-0FCB-47D1-BD07-5CD0846F0E67.jpeg
    CBDA8694-0FCB-47D1-BD07-5CD0846F0E67.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,035
Re: Roy Manser frame for sale

Bultaco370":2i055g0s said:
Thanks for your question, the width is 127mm.

Thanks,I'm looking for a frame built with 130mm dropouts,though.Good luck with the sale.

Ok,no problem. Having said this, and without wanting to sound a bit desperate, I have ridden the frame with a 130mm rear wheel without any issues at all.

Can you tell me when you think the frame was made and whether you think it was originally spaced at 126mm rear dropouts,and also what is the spacing between the front fork dropouts,please?

Re:

From doing some research I would say around 1990, and I would guess it was built as 126mm width. The front dropouts are standard 100mm. I used a Mavic rear wheel with 130mm width, fitted with a 25mm Veloflex tubular and clearance was tight at the rear brake, but it was just clear. You won't get anything wider than this in at the rear.

I also found a picture on the internet of Mr Manser trying out one of of his frames on rollers in his workshop. The bike pictured is very similar in dimensions to the one I am selling so it will give you an idea of how it looks built up as a time trial machine. This was how I originally intended building it up but due to the lack of events this year, I ended up building it up as a road bike, and now due to other reasons my plans have changed.

One other interesting thing is the bottom bracket shell is 2mm narrower than normal, but it does not affect how a standard British thread bottom bracket fits. It just means there are a couple of mm of thread on the left side of the BB exposed. I popped a lockring on there just to finish it off neatly. Hope this is useful extra info.

Attachments

• RoyManser.PNG
    RoyManser.PNG
    211.4 KB · Views: 1,878

Thanks for the further info and the pic of Mr Manser I'll give the frame some further thought.

Re: Re:

Bultaco370":3j01dsl3 said:
No problem, let me know :)

Could you let me have some more and clearer pics of the frame showing greater detail,please?In particular the scratches to the paintwork and is there any rust present?

Back