Cougar Reynolds 731OS 'Race' frame, forks, headset, BB

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all,

It pains me to sell this on, but I don't have a need for it at the moment and I would rather it be used, refurbed, or hanging on someone elses wall :D

It is not perfect, and would make a great restoration piece or a sympathetic lick of paint and away you go!

I have owned this since January. I bought it with a stuck seatpost which I removed using the caustic soda method which dissolves the alloy seatpost and doesn't harm the steel. As a side effect of this, the paint around the seat post area has been stripped by the solution and has subsequently made some surface rust. I have done my best to picture this for you, should you want any more pictures then please let me know.

I have also pictured this, but I believe the previous owner has made a very small nick just after the seatpost cut out, presumably when trying to remove the seatpost with a blade. It's about 1mm deep. I have ridden the frameset for a number of months and this hasn't got any bigger and to be honest I completely forgot about it until i gave it a quick clean up this evening, it's immediately below the seatpost cutout and with the seatpost installed I don't think there's any risk of this affecting the frameset but I wanted to highlight this and be open & transparent. If I were keeping the frame, I would probably just dab some chemical metal in and forget about it.

Finally, one of the dropout adjusters snapped - if I can find my needlenose pliers then I should be able to remove it before sale. Failing that, i'll leave it to the buyer to sort.

Bad bits out of the way, the frameset is amazing to ride. The downtube and toptube are oversized and offers a relatively stiff yet flexible ride. The frame is also quite light! I believe it was built by Mr Terry Dolan himself (has a Terry Dolan signature sticker on the top tube)

Various paint chips and scratches but no dents or deep scratches .

Included is a Rudelli headset in good working order, Campagnolo bottom bracket in good working order (nice and smooth!), and downtube cable stops - haven't used these as I had it setup as a single speed but they may need some attention.

1" steerer
130 OLN
57cm form centre of bottom bracket to top of seat tube
27.2mm seatpost
Cougar dropouts

A few pics below, more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/YNipyNC

PdHz9a8h.jpg

WGK2hDuh.jpg

XoneP9zh.jpg

I am looking for £120 and can post for approximately £15 via Parcelforce. Collection also welcome from South Oxfordshire. I also have a load of components that I can include as part of a deal - Cinelli/3T bars & stems, Shimano 105 brakes, mechs, seatposts & seats galore etc!

Re: Re:

oldmuthariley":3m4tbnol said:
Hi, what’s the top tube length centre to centre, head tube length and max tyre clearance?
Thanks

Will get the tape measure out for you this evening!

Head tube - approx 15.5cm

Top tube centre to centre - approx 54cm

Regarding tyre size, the biggest I've had fitted is 28c. Haven't tried any larger.

Martin

Back