853 Cougar/Terry Dolan frameset,record headset, columbs fork

Status
Not open for further replies.

formallykenster

Dirt Disciple
I am genuinely saddened to be listing this frameset. It is truly unique and of a very high quality. Terry dolan originally made the frame under the cougar label. Its 853 through the whole frame unlike many modern frames claiming this fact.
I will get it weighed again when the chainset and pedals are removed (not included). It is impressively light with the Columbus full carbon forks (1 inch) including carbon steerer. The whole bike when built was just 19 lb which is very light for a steel frame.

It's not all about the weight this frame rides beautifully and is super comfy to ride. Its a real head turner the paint work is pearlescent and doesn't due it justice in the photos. The headset was added new old stock and is a record 1 inch and is very smooth.

The frameset has been used so does have some minor paint chips and rubs. However most are in difficult to see places. I have taken photos of them all the front mech hanger has some pealing paint so could be touched up.

I can't really add more than that except that whilst looking at modern steel frames of a similar spec nothing came close.
For reference I'm 5 10 and it fitted me perfectly but has space either way. I measure the the frame from centre of the bottom bracket to the top is seat tube. And to tube from centre seat tube to centre of head tube. The measurements are seat tube 55cm to bottom of seat post curve and 55.5cm to top.
The top tube is 54.5cm but feel some would say 55cm.

Any questions please ask I had this set up with campagnolo 10 speed carbon record (I'll include a picture for reference). The spacing on the rear drop outs are 130mm. I'm happy to post the frameset but it will have to be fully insured. I would prefer collection for obvious reasons. Thanks for looking. Buy with confidence I will only sell what I will be delighted to receive.

Frame pics
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/e9nwyzrkv5r8 ... v7auMpkBHa
Photo link when built
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/vwcdc4dh8c7y ... dOawUD1Waa

Crazy price for a frame of this quality but I need the cash. Asking a mere £295 plus postage if needed I will not split would like to sell as is cheers jon

I remember this frame from the CTC forum, where you moaned about it after it was crushed in transit (the rear triangle from 130mm to 100mm). That'll be why you're so keen on full insurance?

So you had it cold (or hot) set, 30mm back to 'normal', either way a very severe treatment for an Air hardening steel of an 853 frame, something which you neglect to mention in your advert detail.

Skerry thank you so much for your opinion and bringing such a thoughtful post. If you had thought about contacting me initially to possibly ask me questions before showing total disregard for me that might of been helpful. If you and other members would like to know the history I will tell you. I had a problem on delivery as I would suggest most people would when paying for a 130mm frame and it in fact being 100mm. I took the matter up with the seller and moderators on here but basically was left with the frame. I then had the frame professionally cold set at obvious cost to myself. I then built the frame and have ridden it for a number of years. It rides beautifully and will do for a number of years.
I don't feel like I want or need to go on.
May I suggest if you want to post on others adverts please take the time to think about how it comes across or will make other feel.
I would love to keep the frame but cannot afford to financially as I am now riding shop bikes as a cycle coach and need to pay off my bills. In my honest opinion as I am a genuine guy who loves to ride bikes, coach others and spread the enjoyment of bike riding. This bike frame is stunning and beautiful to ride I am not in the business of selling someone something I wouldn't be delighted to ride or receive myself. Or as you maybe suggesting something that isn't fit to ride. Thanks again jon

Re:

Love mine, going out on it tomorrow :cool:

Albeit a Dedacciai tubed version.

GLWS mate ;)

Mike

Mike love that bike! Don't think they'll be many of these designs around. Don't know whether mine ever came with 853 forks. It rides great with the full carbon anyway. I've already decided if it doesn't sell after a bit longer of trying i'll build it up again. Not with full carbon record 10 though!
In fact I'll add to that you've inspired me even more looking at your original topic post with your bike. Will be happy to keep it although need the cash ideally.

Re:

Thank you for your kind words, I did around 75 miles on mine at the weekend. The favourite among my more modern bikes.
I know of another Cougar on here, with a Mapei inspired paint scheme.

Hope you get to keep it ! ;)

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back