Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:48 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:34 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Finally got this one done and went out for its maiden voyage with Brocklanders and Giant1 on Saturday, fantastic fun. Having never ridden singlespeed before I was a bit apprehensive about the hills etc (uphill that is..) but found it to be easier than I had imagined albeit with nearly getting off on two occasions (but that normally happens whatever I ride..!). Maybe I never cycle to my true potential with a geared steed - its all too easy to change down a gear when they're on tap to use, with a SS you don't have a choice but to keep on pedalling! Bet they make great average pace machines! The 29er wheels keep you moving at a faster pace for the same effort than on a 26" wheeled bike, that was definately noticable. Its a 16" 4130 frame with mainly On-One parts but with Easton finishing kit, ti saddle and XT brakes, Crank and Retro XT Pedals and Skewers :wink:

I recommend trying one of these to anyone at least once in their riding career :D

Attachments:
127099659368986.jpg
127099659368986.jpg [ 193.67 KiB | Viewed 1127 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:25 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Nice bike, very simple but effective. Good choice of parts too.

I 'clicked' when I first rode SS too, it just makes things less complicated. I'm yet to ride a 29er yet, definitely something I need to 'tick' off though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:13 am 
Old School Grand Master

I commute on a SS 29er and I can second it's effectiveness...they are very quick!

That's a nice looking bike.I did think about on-one but the one thing that ruled it out was the lack of mudguard mounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:19 am 

SS might not be for for everyone but they have a place in my bike armoury for one, my main ride is a SS.

after my first long ride i had muscles in places i never had before, must be good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Smart package. Mudguard thing puts me off dailying one, fancy buying a Pompino for that. I too ride a SS 29er daily on the roads and agree with the comments about speed and learning ya limits/needs. I treat it more like an urban road bike cos its a rigid blummin alu urban thing but geo and features is like an MTB.

I really wonder if a proper cromo 29er would suit me off road, makes sense with speed and efficiency and SS loving but I do like nimble chuckable bikes so it remains to be seen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Yeah, certainly more testing required on mine to see if it's a viable all rounder. As I said, I've only been out once, about 16 miles mainly on road with a bit of off road chucked in for good measure and was only stumped by one grassy incline - but I've only ever cleaned that hill once before on my Marin full susser anyway...

It weighs around 24/25lbs at the moment. Worked out that if I had of spent a bit more on the wheelset and chose alloy fram over steel it would have come in at 2lbs less albeit comprimised on the ride feel. Maybe titanium? :wink: