Another project looms!! DH orientated!! update!! 13/08/12

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
a trip to morzine in august has sort of FORCED (like i need a reason!! :LOL: ) me into getting something a little more abuse orientated! :twisted:

being an orange fan (never had guessed would you!) it has to be a Patriot!! :D

i had to think about which model to go for, i decided that it had to be the patriot 66, the main reason for this was because it has slightly adjustable geometry because of the sliding shock mount, and 6" travel is plenty.

i got this one off the bay for £280 which i thought was pretty good, the forks came from a friend for £100, because of this relatively cheap price i will be keeping this long term as i tend to go to the alps most summers for a week or two.

the plan for this is to build it initially with the guts of the parts from my evo which is xt with a set of xm819 wheels (then i'll rebuild the evo with other stuff as i get it) the only thing i'll need is a set of good DH brakes and a set of maxxis high roller tyres.

once back from morzine i will (over the winter) get it resprayed by orange as there are a few marks here and there.

anyway here are a couple of pics, also it's something i don't usually do build wise so it will be nice to have something different.

Attachments

• todays fettling! 014resized.jpg
    todays fettling! 014resized.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,660
  • todays fettling! 013resized.jpg
    todays fettling! 013resized.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,660
  • todays fettling! 012resized.jpg
    todays fettling! 012resized.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,660
Love the Patriot, it's like a 5 on steroids :cool:

Can't wait to see what you do with this build.

having this frame sat in the roof of the garage was really annoying me being matt black! dull dull dull boring boring boring matt black!! i hate it!! :x

not to mention the rather large scratch right in the middle of the toptube, i tried to make myself wait till after morzine before getting the repaint for fear of scratching it outhere which is quite likely, but i couldn't resist the thought of awsome new paint!! :D besides any pics from morzine would have had a dull bike in it as opposed to a mental bright frame!

so back to orange for a gaytastic NEON yellow!!! :D :LOL: :LOL:

the rest of the bike will be mostly black to counter the sheer brightness of the frame. at the moment i have forks, hayes 8inch brakes, maxxis high roller tyres, and a few other bits. a fair few parts will be donated from the evo i have which is a little over specced for winter riding, but i need to sort a headset etc first.

can't wait to get started on building this!! :D :D

Attachments

• patriot 004resized.jpg
    patriot 004resized.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,468
The yellow will look awesome with all black bits .

I'd have an old patriot if Lincolnshire ever grew some damn hills :LOL:

Apparently this was Peats

IMG_4374.jpg

yeah that does look like a peaty bike, i defo won't be doing yellow rims though! :D

can't wait for morzine, gonna be about 11 of us, with a stag night in the middle of the holiday! :D

decided to get going on this as it will need a test ride before heading to the alps. :D

i have nicked most of the gearset and the wheels from my orange Evo as it is XT based but i got some hayes stroker 8" brakes to stop me instead of the 160/140 hope brakes that were on the Evo.

the only thing i am not happy with is the bar, it's a raceface dues XC, a little leightweight i think, i'll sort that before i go.

i'm really pleased with the way it looks, stupid bright!!! :D

Attachments

• patriot.jpg
    patriot.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,232
  • patriot1.jpg
    patriot1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,232
  • goldtec.jpg
    goldtec.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,232
thought i'd do a little update on this bike as i have been fiddling with it today :)

one of the reasons i got this particular frame was that it can be played with as far as shocks and forks go, i did buy this frame etc originally for morzine trips which it was perfect for, i had so much fun on it last year but since the holiday it has sat in the garage unused except for the occasional tweak to some components. my plan was to change the forks and shock so that it could be more usable here rather than be just downhill specific (note, i live in the flattest depths of the new forest, owning a downhill bike here is pointless!!) so i decided that when the right sort of parts showed up if they were sensible money then i'd have them.

so about a year ago i bought a 2nd hand Fox rp23 shock off Scant and just recently i bought a set of 03 marzocchi drop off's from Sterns, so this morning i decided to get them fitted up :)

so now i have 2 bikes in one! :D downhill weapon for the alps and hard hitting trail centre beastie!

i have had a quick spin around the block, it feels fine, a little weird but i think thats just 'different' really as opposed to anything bad. i have my 18 days off soon over the xmas/new year period so i might venture to Wales for a couple of days to give it a bashing!

anyway here's the before and after pics :D

Attachments

• patriot6.jpg
    patriot6.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,588
  • patriot4.jpg
    patriot4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,588
  • patriot2.jpg
    patriot2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,588
to this :D