2007 Scott Ransom

Archangel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi folks,
Here's my new old bike- a 2007 Scott Ransom 20.
The only components left from a original spec is a headset, otherwise it's better or as good as the top-end LTD model.

ransom_5.jpg

ransom_6.jpg

ransom_7.jpg

These Ransoms get rave reviews in German bike mag tests so I wanted to give it a try. Got a pretty good deal on a used 2007 model so I took a plunge.

The bike was pretty much freeride oriented when I bought it and it weighed 15+ kilos so I put it to a diet and now it weighs 13.7kg. With planned updates on wheels and brakes it should be about 13kg even.

The most problematic thing with these bikes is the proprietary Equalizer rear shock. I got mine to stuck-down status before single proper ride, which is quite annoying. Very high air pressures combined with rubber seals and non-heated storage shed cannot be a good combination.
Well, hopefully the shock will work well after service, otherwise might need to think about alternatives for the frameset.

They have transparent green Crankskins decals/crank covers on them. Cheap & easy to way to customize and protect the crank finish.

Updated my Ransom with 2010 Formula The One brakes with 2011 FCS adjusters installed. Still having the XTR discs though. Will change to Formula discs when I replace the wheelset with a lighter one with 6-bolt hubs.

Also changed the Thomson Masterpiece seatpost to Rock Shox Reverb adjustable post. :cool:
Haven't ridden with it yet so can't say anything about the post.

The good thing is that the Formula brakes' lightness offset the additional weight of the post meaning that the bike weight stayed about the same: 13.7 kg.

ransom_8.jpg

ransom_10.jpg

Which length post did you fit? I am looking at upgrading to a Reverb and having had a mate with a Ransom hit a jump badly and push his [original pointy] seat post into his shock (seat post clamp was not tight enough which was his bad), thus destroying the shock, we've not both got sawn-off seat posts now. Not sure how the lengths of the Reverbs (380 vs 420) match up. Any comments on the reliability of the Reverb would be greatly appreciated too.

I've got the shorter one but the long one shouldn't be a problem either for you cannot lower the post so down that it would hit the shock (that silver clamp prevents it).
My Reverb is quite sluggish, even when I have bled it 2 times. It needs quite a push to go down and returns up very slowly even on fastest setting.
My friend's post works much faster and smoother. I'll need to bleed mine once more and if it doesn't work, I'll probably return it to CRC where I bought it. Other than that, it's a great product and makes riding difficult places much easier.

Some updates to my Ransom:

- Tune King MK / Kong Maxle, Sapim CX-Ray, NoTubes Crest (1362g !) wheels
- Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 F+R tyres
- Stan's sealant with Tune rim tapes
- Bionicon c.guide v.2 chain guide

Now 13.2 kg which is pretty fine...

ransom_11.jpg

ransom_12.jpg

Back