Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:04 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:03 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:37 am
Posts: 3146
Location: Whiskey bent & hellbound!
andrewl wrote:
P20 wrote:
39t outer??


Useful on some courses, but if you are using a 39T as the big ring you may as well ditch the small one and run a single ring up front like a lot of racers at the last world champs.


Exactly :D

I think the big S are going to go 2x10 through all their groupsets too


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:14 pm 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:16 pm
Posts: 4144
Location: RetroModding™ since 1988
Shimano are giving the option of 10spd right down to SLX level, coming to a LBS near you in 2011!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:52 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:12 am
Posts: 2461
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
mechagouki wrote:
I thought the idea was that the 10 speed cassette combined with a 39/24 at the front provides all the ratios available from a 3 x 9 setup whilst saving the weight of a chainring and reducing cross-gearing problems?


the 2 x 10 is supposed to give the most used ratios of a 3 x 9 setup but it has its not as broad as a 3 x 9 setup.

Some of the national and international rider I've spoken to say the 39/26 setup isn't particularly great and for some races something bigger than 42/28 would be nice too.

Yes XX is a really nice piece of gear (other than the expense) but really in some ways the older 2 x 9 setups are just as flexible at a fraction of the cost.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:01 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Posts: 1401
Location: North East Scotland (Aberdeen)
Neil G wrote:
Still not worth it though...having to replace a whole £270 worth of cassette because it's rogered isn't my idea of practical. I suppose I've never really been a Sram fan from the get go but it is an impressive looking group.


I hardly ever change cassette's these days. I use a Rholof chain checker and change as soon as it tells me too (on the A). I eat through heaps of chains but at £10-20 I see them as disposable compared to an XT or XTR cassette and chainrings.

The steel XX would last many years if you did that.

Lovely bike 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:15 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:37 am
Posts: 3146
Location: Whiskey bent & hellbound!
messiah wrote:
Neil G wrote:
Still not worth it though...having to replace a whole £270 worth of cassette because it's rogered isn't my idea of practical. I suppose I've never really been a Sram fan from the get go but it is an impressive looking group.


I hardly ever change cassette's these days. I use a Rholof chain checker and change as soon as it tells me too (on the A). I eat through heaps of chains but at £10-20 I see them as disposable compared to an XT or XTR cassette and chainrings.

The steel XX would last many years if you did that.

Lovely bike 8)


Maybe it's my riding style but I've got through quite a lot of cassettes & chains....could be stomping it at the lights/sprint starts lol

Like the hydraulic fork lockout on the XX group...very smooth and compact :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:23 pm
Posts: 1224
Location: muddy, grimy yorkshire :D
messiah wrote:
I hardly ever change cassette's these days. I use a Rholof chain checker and change as soon as it tells me too (on the A). I eat through heaps of chains but at £10-20 I see them as disposable compared to an XT or XTR cassette and chainrings.

The steel XX would last many years if you did that.


x2

with regards to the bike.... nice, but i'm not a fan of scotts (i get too many of them coming through my workshop for new bearings)
xx is nice, but it's still sram


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:06 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:37 am
Posts: 3146
Location: Whiskey bent & hellbound!
albash82 wrote:
messiah wrote:
I hardly ever change cassette's these days. I use a Rholof chain checker and change as soon as it tells me too (on the A). I eat through heaps of chains but at £10-20 I see them as disposable compared to an XT or XTR cassette and chainrings.

The steel XX would last many years if you did that.


x2

with regards to the bike.... nice, but i'm not a fan of scotts (i get too many of them coming through my workshop for new bearings)
xx is nice, but it's still sram


lol at the sram comment...I feel the same, expensive group or not


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 am 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
The owner is a lapsed member of this site. He wants to fit candy pedals instead of XT-R
I think it's a space hopper ride. it looks better with black tyres. The saddle will be changed as well.
If i was given it to ride then i would for racing as he is. Other wise it's rigid for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:36 pm 
.o.T.M Triple Crown Winner
.o.T.M Triple Crown Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:07 pm
Posts: 3042
Location: Finland
Nice! I really would like to testride one also.

Where are white rubbers... I heard they become very ugly after couple muddy rides?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:05 pm
Posts: 2071
Location: Boston, MA
Shamus wrote:
Nice! I really would like to testride one also.

Where are white rubbers... I heard they become very ugly after couple muddy rides?


You mean those white Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires? I always thought it was strange that you could ONLY get them on that Scott model. When the tires wear out, where is the owner supposed to get replacements? And assuming that replacements do exist, how can I, um I mean how can Tintin's friend get them? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group