iveto1983

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I bought this new last February, still paying for it though! It's one of the few new bikes that I wouldn't change anything on. I think it's been put together thoughtfully, too many new bikes look childish and gaudy.
The bars are probably too wide though :roll:
web.jpg

web.jpg

Apologies for the photos, it's raining outside. That fine rain that wets you through :LOL:

I love the colour of those rims! & that chain looks like a piece of jewellery!
It does look like they actually thought about piecing it all together than just throwing branded groupset on it
Singlespeed's are too much hard work for me though :LOL:

Gc

This is quite low geared. It's hard work trying to go fast, it spins out easily.
I don't go really long rides on it, the furthest it's been is about 25 miles round Clumber Park, which is nearly all flat :oops:

Dead Rats":1v5s21yi said:
yeah, what IS that chain?

Not sure TBH, it came on the bike. It's stamped "Shimano" on most links, a few are stamped "FI".
web.jpg

Cheers, Pat

p.s. It's not rusty, been out on it today, needs a clean :oops:

Yes, they're a nice looking bike with very cool late 60's stylee graphics (IMHO), although I thought that the original version (with the Maverick forks) was very desirable too. I wonder why they dropped the Mavericks, as by all account they are excellent forks and they could have had co-ordinated graphics too :cool: :cool:

It (like all singlespeeds) would look better without the bashring ('cos SS's don't need one, the chain does that job) and the chainstay protector (because the chain's never going to get near it).

Nice to see it though :cool: , thanks for posting.

PS. that saddle angle looks uncomfortable :oops: , though if it works....

Attachments

• Trek-69er.jpg
    Trek-69er.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5,084
Andy R":i71ltbce said:
Yes, they're a nice looking bike with very cool late 60's stylee graphics (IMHO), although I thought that the original version (with the Maverick forks) was very desirable too. I wonder why they dropped the Mavericks, as by all account they are excellent forks and they could have had co-ordinated graphics too :cool: :cool:

It (like all singlespeeds) would look better without the bashring ('cos SS's don't need one, the chain does that job) and the chainstay protector (because the chain's never going to get near it).

Nice to see it though :cool: , thanks for posting.

PS. that saddle angle looks uncomfortable :oops: , though if it works....

Thanks for the kind words and sage advice. :)
This is my first SS, I put the protector on without thinking it through, just wanted to protect my shiny, new frame. :oops:
I like the nose of the saddle tilted up slightly but this one's probably a bit too far up. It doesn't look that bad in the flesh though, probably because the photo is looking up at the bike slightly. :?
Anyhow, I'll get it sorted before I post some better pics. ;)

Pat

iveto1983":tvqedlaq said:

More "sage advice" (ie over-opinionated comments) - unless you really need the bars to be narrower (to get between trees when you can't use the old enduro trick of unweighting the front and flicking the wheel sideways :cool:, which is difficult going steeply downhill) then leave them wide (660mm plus is good).

Wide bars are a huge advantage when you're fighting your way up the last 20 metres of a stiff climb.

What gearing are you using BTW - looks like it's a high-ish 32:16?

Andy.

Chris Hughes":3tnd7cm7 said:
Always loved these. Stunning looking bike. :) very jealous!

Cheers mate :cool:
Unfortunately/Stupidly, I've just sold this on ebay to fund the purchase of something else. :oops:

Andy R":3tnd7cm7 said:
iveto1983":3tnd7cm7 said:

More "sage advice" (ie over-opinionated comments) - unless you really need the bars to be narrower (to get between trees when you can't use the old enduro trick of unweighting the front and flicking the wheel sideways :cool:, which is difficult going steeply downhill) then leave them wide (660mm plus is good).

Wide bars are a huge advantage when you're fighting your way up the last 20 metres of a stiff climb.

What gearing are you using BTW - looks like it's a high-ish 32:16?

Andy.

The bars only really feel too wide when I'm struggling to get it out of the house :roll: ;)

Just measured them, and they're 650mm.
Yeah, the gearing is 32:16.

As mentioned above, I've sold this, it leaves my possession on Sunday.
I'll have to take it on a final ride on Saturday to say goodbye :(

Back