Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:17 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Hey Gil, when you have thawed out, how about putting those pics in the NE&Yorks Gallery to show those poncy Anglians what real northern snow looks like ( not the dusting they're talking about in Thetford :roll:). We had six inches of snow on new years eve and more is due tonight and tomorrow- and guess who is riding to work in the morning??

Can't wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:10 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

wow crackin thead gil loving it- you the man 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Excellent post Gil.....guess there's no chance in the world you'll sell me your Pug now :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:39 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Dr S wrote:
Hey Gil, when you have thawed out, how about putting those pics in the NE&Yorks Gallery to show those poncy Anglians what real northern snow looks like ( not the dusting they're talking about in Thetford :roll:).

I dont remember anyone complaining about the snow in thetford, it was the crust and the -1/ -2 temperature that got to some people.

Having ridden in snow as deep as that on a normal mountain bike, I doff my cap to Gil as it is bloody hard on the flat, let alone hilly stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:03 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

I love fat tyres :) I've not had the confidence to go out on my 3" tryes over winter as it's been more ice than snow round here. I can imagine those being a killer for trying to peddle any distance on, mines like a slug..
..perhaps a smaller ring would help me;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:04 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I love the fact someone on here has a nuts bike. I was looking at these while I was looking at which Surlys I actually need. Really cool, and nice to see one in action even if it did nearly leave ya stranded! Good story though and experience that will teach ya next time. :) Tell ya what too training on this will make ya fit for anything! :o 8)

Fattest my bikes have got is 2.6 infact this wouldn't take owt bigger.
My mates was still running super heavy super drag 24x3.0s till recent trade down to 2.7s! :D

Nice one. I'd be keen to see how it goes down the knarly trails compared to full/half sussers.... :)

So you'd recommend a Surly in general then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:14 am 
Retro Guru

Amazing story!

I like unusual bikes and especially fat tyred ones! I have 2.4s on my 575.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Wheel covers front and rear to stop the snow accumulating on the spokes. You could make flou orange ones so mountain rescue can see you!

2. Ghetto tubeless system if possible. I'm not sure if punctures are a problem in snow but might help cut the weight down.

My winter riding tips:

I ride in winter in the Peaks and I had a problem of snow picked up by the front wheel being carved off by the fork and accumulating on my feet! I'm inventing some special armoured goretex gaiters to cope with this.

I wore Specialized Reactor gloves - the one with the pocket on the back of the hand for a heat sachet! The best budget winter glove out there.

I put almost boiling water in my Camelback as I set off - it was still lukewarm at the end of a 3 hour ride! Put extra insulation around it and it'll stay like that for hours.

I have a project on at the moment: SPD snow shoes! For those hike a bike moments in deep snow. I use SPDs even in snow, they help with a smooth power stroke.