Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:37 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hey all, my name is Cory from Phoenix, AZ USA and I came across this site whilst searching for info (specifically on the adjustable rear link) and must say I am in heaven.

I love older bikes and am cheap. I firmly believe that while many of today's bikes are great technologically, and under the price point of $2000 US for a new bike you are really just getting some warmed over early decade tech. And that any bike from about MY2000 on up can be modded to be as light and capable as just about anything out there.

Here is a pic. It is stock save the Bomber XC600 TST2 fork and I believe the Hayes discs.

Plans are to shave some weight over time with smart purchase as she weighs around 30# now and would like too hit 26# or more. First to go are the heavy Kenda Nevegals, which I have never tried until now. I don't like them at all so on go my fave the Larsen TT- with home brewed tubless conversion and mix. Next is the rear brake mount. I plan to either find or make a lighter alternative or just drill out and machine the current one. If I do that I would like to find a second one in case I go to far with the drill press and grinder! Of course as we go, lighter components all around as they fail or I find them cheaply along the way.

If anyone has any good tech or mods for this bike- let me know and thanks for letting me in. I know I am Yank but if it makes anyone feel better- I was born at RAF Lakenheath in '71!

Attachments:
File comment: 2000 Spesh Enduro Expert
100_0476.jpg
100_0476.jpg [ 254.49 KiB | Viewed 1565 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am 
Old School Hero

nice bike ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:02 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks! I am in the process of finding lighter parts (wheels, post, cranks etc) and I think I can slim her down to about 26 pounds at most. I have it at 29 now.