Brake help!

Scarfacexxx08

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hey all, not a retro question but was hoping someone could help me out?

I have a specialized Epic and running 09 XT levers goodrich hoses onto XTR calipers. The rotors i'm running are Shimano Disc Rotor XT 6-Bolt RT75 203mm up front and 160mm rear. Now the front works fine, but the rear is a pile of..... A friend of mine is running the same calipers but he has an old avid roundagon rotor on the rear and his brakes really well. I can't go up a rotor size due to where the Brain is located. I was wondering if anyone from here has had the same issues?

Can anyone recomend a different rotor other than this avid?

Just a suggestion: Have you taken it to your LBS and asked them to have a look-see? Maybe there's a simple adjustment/alignment issue they could take care of.

Yeah we've looked at it, the only thing we can come up with is new rotor. Or Buy some Hope tech m4 for the epic and put the xtr's on another bike with a bigger rotor on the rear. Although that is last resort

I can't see why a different rotor (of the same size) should make any difference to braking power, but why don't you swap rotors (or rear wheels) with your mate just to see?

Could be contaminated brake pads, of course. Fit new ones and clean the rotor well to see if this makes a difference.

I'd say this was an issue of contaminated pads

I had a set of shimano sintered pads that wouldn't work regardless of what I did and it was only the fronts as well. Tried sanding surface of pad & disc, disc cleaner etc. and nothing sorted them! Binned in favour of ebc resins and never had any issues

Well changed the rear rotor to an Avid clean sweep rotor and OMG the braking is so much better!!! I really didn't think that a rotor would make this much difference.

Latest posts

Back