Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:29 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:36 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Netherlands
fingers wrote:
Yours looks good with the maguras tho - Ashton rode for the team and used mags...

I think the front brake in the pic in this thread is an avid, btw.,


Yes it is actually an Avid tri align brake. Will post a something in the "wanted section".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:23 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:36 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Netherlands
densjo wrote:
fingers wrote:
Yours looks good with the maguras tho - Ashton rode for the team and used mags...

I think the front brake in the pic in this thread is an avid, btw.,


Yes it is actually an Avid tri align brake. Will post a something in the "wanted section".

captain8track wrote:
your bike looks like a wc racer as it is.

Allison rode azonics risers I think, and they acctually had SACHS twisters and some xtr rear mech at some times.

She was probarly the only one riding risers at that time, don't really know why they just didn't flip the stem?

and it's also a bit interesting looking at F-series bikes from 2000 and after who have the stems on the + side insteed of downwards. This makes a F-series bike look like a pollished turd.

My point is don't get caught up in the idea of making an identical replica because they had various of bikes, I've even seen Allison on a Killer V with maguras and that strange black fork. Probarly somekind of test bike, looked ace. You have a great foundation, your bike must be rather light to!


Thanks for this information ! I agree that it looks like a turd if you have the stem upright. Doesn't look racy at all. Weight of the bike is now: 10.88 kg. So my wishlist now is Azonic riser bar, Syncros titanium seatpost, Avid tri align frontbrake, Avid Arch Supreme rear brake, Avid SD Ultimate levers Headshok Fatty SL fork, Coda Magic cranks and IRC Mythos XC Kevlar red wall tires (almost on the way).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: well
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 500
Location: Sweden
good luck with this project.

Does anyone know what kind of fatty allison rode? the black one that looks more like a pace carbon fork... thoose puppies were awesome.

I had that allison look on my xc-rig -97 with a -20degree profile stem and a riserbar it was pretty cool, same ride height as usual but wider! looked kind of cool on a non cannondale to. everything was a go go in the 90´s!

I almost bought a f800 for around 50euros with xt topmounts but hadn't the time to go pick it up. still regret that, the fork was shot but there's always fattys and leftys for sale cheap somewhere! or just threat the orginal fork with some lube..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: well
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:45 am 
BoTM Winner | Feature Bike | Gold Trader
BoTM Winner | Feature Bike | Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:39 pm
Posts: 2282
Location: Finland
captain8track wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of fatty allison rode? the black one that looks more like a pace carbon fork... thoose puppies were awesome.


I think the carbon legged one was a normal Super/Ultra whatever but with those special legs. Probably some kind of a prototype version that never made to production. You can see a similar fork (albeit covered with mud) in Marc Gullickson's bike above.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: well
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:16 am 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:36 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Netherlands
captain8track wrote:
good luck with this project.

Does anyone know what kind of fatty allison rode? the black one that looks more like a pace carbon fork... thoose puppies were awesome.

I had that allison look on my xc-rig -97 with a -20degree profile stem and a riserbar it was pretty cool, same ride height as usual but wider! looked kind of cool on a non cannondale to. everything was a go go in the 90´s!

I almost bought a f800 for around 50euros with xt topmounts but hadn't the time to go pick it up. still regret that, the fork was shot but there's always fattys and leftys for sale cheap somewhere! or just threat the orginal fork with some lube..


I have a picture from Alisons 'Dale with that fork, unfortunately my scanner doesn't function :?
Here is a recent photo from my Dale.
Image

And I was crazy enough to spend more than EUR 200 on the Coda Magic cranks with the bottom bracket today Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:23 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 5611
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
:twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: grrr
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:06 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 500
Location: Sweden
it looks great!!!

seemed to be in real good condition, I was on the prowl of getting one but ended up with another kona.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grrr
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:00 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:36 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Netherlands
captain8track wrote:
it looks great!!!

seemed to be in real good condition, I was on the prowl of getting one but ended up with another kona.


Thanks ! I really have problems with removing the cup on the driveside, so I need to go to the LBS.
I ditched the carbon bottlecages and mounted a simple alu cage. I also received the Syncros titanium seatpost which I won on Ebay.
I don't know what's next. I suppose it will be a Headshok Fatty SL fork.
Still on my wishlist are IRC Mythos Kevlar redwall tires and Avid Arch Supreme brakes.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:03 pm 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Gold Trader
B.o.T.M. Winner / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 7176
Location: CAMBRIDGE .. UK
i love your bike.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:11 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:18 pm
Posts: 3186
Location: NFA
me too...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group