Giant MCM990 - Carbon Content - Updated

ape

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well the sparks back with the old retro bike thing, maybe not as retro as some other bikes but I love it and am sooo excited as I have been looking for one for years and finally got my mitts on one. Bit of a better spec than the original CM990 as its got a xtr chainset, XTR rear hub and pace front hub and Marzocchi Bomber airs and a few other bits and pieces.

I'm going to replace the XTR chainset with with my cook brothers F crank and think my hope titanium BB will fit so that will also be being stuck in. Also bombers are going to get replaced with my Pace 36 Evo's? ones with gold stanchions, may have already got some carbon bars to swap with the easton ones on it as well. I'm going to try and go with a carbon and gold theme so all my old red bits need to go. Oh and also need to get rid of the rockshox super deluxe for a air shock.

On a side note does anybody know what the QR's are they just have a R symbol on them, and also anyone know what the cassette is or is there anyway of me finding out?

Anyway here's some pics, I'm soooo excited yaaaay!!!

P1010782.jpg

P1010783.jpg

P1010791.jpg

P1010792.jpg

P1010765.jpg

P1010773.jpg

By the looks of it the cassette is an XTR, you can be sure by wiping of the
dirt from the spider it should read M950.
I also have an MCM D900 but then in the Giant team colours from bitd.
They were (maybe still) the most expensive frame sets they made. And
apart from the looks the carbon didn't really contribute anything.
Did you really ride it yet? and then offroad on a fast technical singletrack ;)

Wytze":2ryo8eko said:
By the looks of it the cassette is an XTR, you can be sure by wiping of the
dirt from the spider it should read M950.
I also have an MCM D900 but then in the Giant team colours from bitd.
They were (maybe still) the most expensive frame sets they made. And
apart from the looks the carbon didn't really contribute anything.
Did you really ride it yet? and then offroad on a fast technical singletrack ;)

Not got to ride it properly yet I've only had a quick play around the carpark but it feels very quick and stable, would love to see some pics of your DH990, out of interest to you know if the replacable mech hanger would be the same on the 2 frames, mine was slighlty bent and had to hammer it back into shape which I'm a bit concerned about as I know if it breaks its probably going to be a bugger to find another

main.php

Well the der. hanger will not be a problem, every giant dealer should have them; they are the same as on other giants from that era.

I am curious to what you think of the handling. I must say I was spoiled by riding Intense and Nicolai full suspension bikes with very good and stiff rear forks.
I like it (the form) to much to sell, but I don't like the ride. So now it is an extra bike I loan to friends. That's also why it is build up with modern parts.
It is a nice comfortable ride that gives a lot of confidence with the low standover height, good brakes and more than enough travel.

What length (eye to eye) is your (original?) rear shock? I think the geo on mine is a bit weird; if I put in a 100mm fork, the handling is already very nervous, so
a longer fork would be better, but with the 100mm the cranks are already so high up. I was thinking about trying a shorter rear shock to make the head tube
angle slacker and lowering the bracket height.
A friend of mine used to race downhill with one of these with a Boxxer up front (gave it a good head angle) and it even survived his 90kg abuse.

Wytze":1s116wvz said:
main.php

Well the der. hanger will not be a problem, every giant dealer should have them; they are the same as on other giants from that era.

I am curious to what you think of the handling. I must say I was spoiled by riding Intense and Nicolai full suspension bikes with very good and stiff rear forks.
I like it (the form) to much to sell, but I don't like the ride. So now it is an extra bike I loan to friends. That's also why it is build up with modern parts.
It is a nice comfortable ride that gives a lot of confidence with the low standover height, good brakes and more than enough travel.

What length (eye to eye) is your (original?) rear shock? I think the geo on mine is a bit weird; if I put in a 100mm fork, the handling is already very nervous, so
a longer fork would be better, but with the 100mm the cranks are already so high up. I was thinking about trying a shorter rear shock to make the head tube
angle slacker and lowering the bracket height.
A friend of mine used to race downhill with one of these with a Boxxer up front (gave it a good head angle) and it even survived his 90kg abuse.

Well not taken it for a proper ride yet but it feels good so far, and I normally get a pretty good feeling just from taking one for a quick spin, I'm actually going to put some forks on with less travel on though so should be interesting. I believe the shocks are 190mm eye to eye, this ones replacing my old cannondale m400 and feels less nervous than that, I've also owned a RTS to compare it too and got a Balfa BB7, although my shock on that is a Marzocchi Rocco world cup so the rockshox on the giant feels rather rubbish compared to it

Ok so its been a while but its slowly getting there, took the horrible HH and marzocchi stickers off etc, spinergy spox on the front now (just need to get a rear), gold chris king that I got off of here thankyou muchly Mr Burgandy and carbon flite to satisfy my carbon needs. Oh and horrible carbon post has been replaced with my u.s.e but I need to find a black one. Anyway, hows it looking?

P1020173.jpg

P1020176.jpg

P1020177.jpg

P1020178.jpg

sorry to hear the hanger was bent, not sure how that happened.
the qrs are Rolf,
cassette was xtr
nice to see it being loved- rather than cluttering up a shed too small!

Back