Giant MCM

reetegoed

Dirt Disciple
Okay its not realy old yet, but to my opinion its going to be a classic.
Anyway , for me it is. I fell for the looks of this early carbon machine.
Next to that it is verry light and surely pretty strong. This is not an old scool rebuild , because it is being used (on nice dry day's).
Still I tried to keep the old style looks.
pbpic3541181.jpg

pbpic3541182.jpg

pbpic3541176.jpg

pbpic3541170.jpg

I must agree, it is a fine looking frame. Wasn't it designed for a much shorter fork than that Laurin though? Whenever I see a retro bike with its bottom bracket higher than the axles, I always wonder how it handles!

re:

well it's not that old and was sold with an 80mm fork, the laurin seem a tad to high but probarly balances out when riding due to sag?

really liked that u used maguras! one fellow who ride with us has one with spinergys and sram it looks about orginal. I had the 93 modell, and the 06 xtc. And I must admit that the mcm was a better ride, but the newer one was faster due to lower weight and more stiffness. Just wish they made it ride like the old one. Perhaps I should try that model u have...

You are absoltuly right about the magura Laurin , its to high.When i bought this bike i replaced a lot but not the fork. i do want to replace it with an 85 mm fork preferably a RockShox SID
It has a lot of SAG but the laurin is just not such a good fork , it tends to have a lot of stick.And i did service it...

On my NRS and XTC I also have 85 mm's and that's a much more controlled ride for XC riding.
I use the magura brakes on all my bikes except for the NRS wich I use for marathons. I think the Magura's are the best brakes ever designed.
Not only perfect braking but they are absolutely bombproof! And super easy to clean.
RecentlyI purchased an John Tomac raceline version., it's quite old but still working like fresh.

pbpic2977890.jpg

re:

I have a Manitou Black on one on my rides and it was really sticky so I took some Teflon lubricant sprey and just sprayed the innerlegs a lot and took it for a ride a couple of weeks ago, now it works like a charm or well it works and is not sticky. going to try the same to my bomber.

I think they sold with sid's acctually or perhaps an skareb? but a 2008 Sid WC would probarly be spot on, or if u can find it the 2009 with canti-studs.

I have been thinking of giving up my xtr v's and get the newest maguras they seem to be rather good prices on them now, and quite light. And the power is massive with maguras...

Anthony":172sm7bq said:
I must agree, it is a fine looking frame. Wasn't it designed for a much shorter fork than that Laurin though? Whenever I see a retro bike with its bottom bracket higher than the axles, I always wonder how it handles!

Now that's something I wanted to alter, the height of the laurin . Unfortunately this could not be changed , thus I sold the fork. Now I purchased an Reba which can be tuned to 85mm. I love these Reba's they are a great ride and easy to service.When installed , the pictures will be updated.

reetegoed":33hv7628 said:
Anthony":33hv7628 said:

Now that's something I wanted to alter, the height of the laurin . Unfortunately this could not be changed , thus I sold the fork. Now I purchased an Reba which can be tuned to 85mm. I love these Reba's they are a great ride and easy to service.When installed , the pictures will be updated.

I got the 09 reba 318 in white to match my original white forks, I know they can be detuned to take the travel out to 80mm or so but i sure cant find that in the manual / any manuals? other than twisting the travel dial is there anything else you need to do to the internals?

zooma":3j8ktybo said:
reetegoed":3j8ktybo said:
Anthony":3j8ktybo said:

I got the 09 reba 318 in white to match my original white forks, I know they can be detuned to take the travel out to 80mm or so but i sure cant find that in the manual / any manuals? other than twisting the travel dial is there anything else you need to do to the internals?

You can download the info on the Rock shox.com site , You have to place two inserts below the end stop of the air chamber rod. to get 85mm and 1 insert to get the 100mm it's dead easy.When you have a U-turn reba it's not needed ofcourse..

Back