Updated-Finally built my Sunn Soft tail to a rideable state

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
But its now a single speed :)

I have had this frame hacking around most of the year and have started 2 previous attempts to build it but they both ended due to other things going on with me/around me. It has been sat, stripped back to frame only in my storage unit since the move to London.

Heres the closest it made it to rideable before:
P1010239.jpg

Well on saterday I set off to the unit in Oxford with the intent to do something about it. Here is a crappy picture of the result (I should of taken my camera out ysterday/today when I was out on it as apposed to getting this crap shot in my flats stair well.)
P1010648.jpg

Everything on the bike came from my spares bin. Yesterday I set it up with a set of cooks RSR compacts, only to find the non drive side had a hairline crack... :roll: So this morning I swapped it over to some Race face turbine DH cranks.

Ful spec:
Frame- 16" 1999 Sunn Tottal UN soft tail frame
Forks- Pace RC36 Proclass 2 forks
Headset- FSA Orbit head set (upper races),Unknown sealed bearing lower races
Cranks- Race face Turbine DH
Wheels- LX M570
Cassette- (need propper S/S gear) 9spd LX
Stem- Syncros (hinged front)
Bars- Ritchey forcelight
Levers- M570 LX
Grips- Brooks
Brakes- XT M747 & M750
Post- Push
Saddle- Charge spoon.

I need to play with the ratios a little, currently running 32:16 and its not alot of use around the London flat lands.

I like that bike a lot. Dont know how a soft tail will ride as a ss, will be interested to hear.

Please tell me you dont leave those bike in a common stairwell?

Well the 32-16T setup was proving silly on my commute, so I went tinkering with the contents of my car boot and it now looks like this:

P1010657.jpg

P1010658.jpg

P1010659.jpg

I swapped the 32T ring out for a 44T Middleburn DH outer, and also swapped the forks over to some RC38 airforce as the spring weight in the Proclass 2's was a little soft for my liking.

Ride is now a load better, the softail takes a bit of getting used to, feels a little weird mostly hard tail then you feel it ocaisionally, a little odd but not unpleasant.

Still not totally finished, I need to meet up with another Retrobiker in Camden at some oint to get a single speed spacer kit and tensioner so I can lose the heath robinson rear mech tensioner and cassette.

Back