yay made some progress last night. recabled the brakes and stuck some new pads in. bearing in mind the lo cost nature of this project i went to asda for some "bell" brake pads. i think they are a couple of quid for a pair. sadly my local store has thinned out its cycle stuff for the winter. as it was 7pm i popped to halfords. their cheapest pads on display would have been 10 quid a set. i asked the guy behind the counter if they had any cheaper ones and he dissapeared.
can back with 4 brand new pads but not packaged. £4. ace.
so brakes now done i turned my attention to the drive.
i tried all sorts of ring and sprocket combinations to get a magic gear but no such luck. i think the one i have (32/15) would work with a half link but that necessitates spending money. so on with the broken tensioner! the spring has gone so it is now fixed in place.
i decided against using a bigger ring and sprocket(my preferred set up for aesthetic reasons) for 3 reasons...
1. the ring i am using is steel and threaded so no need to cut down any bolts, hurrah
2. i am using 4 bolt arms instead of the sugino ones which frees them up to go back on my lava dome. hurrah
3. the 5 bolt sugino i was going to use has a middleburn 44t ring attached in good nick - i can now sell that. hurrah
so there we have it. the tyres roll pretty well on tarmac. it is a bit big and upright for my liking but for what i want to do with it it will be fine.
one last obstacle though - the left crankbolt is solid and is rounding off. taking it to my mates workshop to get neanderthal on it tonight all being well, hence only 1 pedal in it
it is also a lot lighter than it started out too. i borrowed wu tangled scales and it only weighs 23.5lbs. awesome