GT STS 1000DS Complete

stevetait

Senior Retro Guru
I have finished this number off with a red pace extruder granny and now I am in a quandry... ridden twice, loved it, got a '99 STS in the wings and my missus wants one gone...... the dilema!

DSC04597.jpg

Picked up this little number a while back for not much. It was not well looked after but after a bit of TLC, grease and a G clamp its starting to take shape again.

Replaced all the bushes and bearings (BETD) , bled and setup the brakes again, destickered it ready for new decals (when I can find some!) and grabbed some new tyres...albeit I still need a rear (on the hunt for an amberwall Panaracer...Smoke Lite, Mach SK, Spike rear etc...) The hatred Ebay gave me a Flite Alpes for peanuts too.... good condition, the' Bay' has its uses!

DSC02383.jpg

DSC02386.jpg

Justbackdated, Tim...stripped, rebuilt and restored my RC36's (Ta Tim!) and I found some Porcipaws in clear to suit that set the front end off a treat.
DSC02385.jpg

DSC02389.jpg

DSC02388.jpg

DSC02387.jpg

DSC02384.jpg

Still to go:

Full XTR setup, I have front and rear mechs M952 (?) and matching XTR chainset, thats battered though and that replacment outer ring and spline is going to be a killer on the wallet! May have to bite the bullet for a nicer condition M960 or the same:(

New Rock Shox Deluxe unit is on its way..ICycles USA £24 posted!.... Holding my breath to see if it shows at all as thats just too cheap!

Seat post needs some attention as well, new clamp and post, that temp QR is awful!

The spoke wrench is coming out this afternoon for a play with the mild lump I have in the rear too.

Autosol!

Aim: Nice clean build to satisfy by boyhood full sus. dreams!

Yep I agree. These themoplastic frames are going to be worth serious money in a few years.

I built up a STS-DH earlier this year. Lovely bike but was a tad too big so I sold it on. I was able to source a NOS set of decals and Super Deluxe shock on the Bay for it. A new set of decals will make this look luuurverly.

This is the guy I sourced them from

chrysopraise1

Might be worth dropping him a line.

I also recently got a Coupe Deluxe from ICycles for my LTS-DS rebuild. Customs had me and a ridiculous Parcelfarce Handling fee. The shock I had was mint and works perfectly. The 'recession sale' they've got on is a bit of a bonus too.

Those forks are really nice BUT they may not have enough travel. Take a look at my LTS-DS thread and the difference putting 130mm Z1's made to the look. Your rear chainstays seem to me nose diving.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

All in, this is/going to be a V Nice bike :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks fellas for the comments...I will update this thread soon as I complete it.

I know what you mean about that linkage Gadro, I'm still playing with that Link at the BB (horst is it called?). It was a new top linkage too from BETD, I may marry it up to the old one as I only checked the race widths beforehand, I have already noticed a few little, very little, crappy finish issues on it, lets see what that brings?

Good point about the forks.

I used to have one of these and one of the first LTS bikes. I regret selling that now and this makes me feel even worse. A nice looking bike indeed.

Update....

Hmmm.... something happened the other day which has mildly slowed my progress... thanks Stew!!

DSC02460.jpg

However, New Coupe Deluxe unit arrived from the states for $37 total... plus, to the annoyance of Gadro I think, the price stated to customs on mine was $17.49 = no duty to pay wooo hooo!! Love its smooth new feel.

DSC02456.jpg

Think I might tart up the old, which still works and make something for the house... bookend, very heavy light pull etc...

DSC02461.jpg

I have sent the product registration card today just for giggles!
DSC02457.jpg

Old mech tidied up and put back on M952 maybe??

DSC02459.jpg

Spent a day trueing wheels with my nipple tool... wish, oh wish I had a proper Jig for that job, front had a lovely dent. All went well and both are true as true now.

Currently in the post.... Kooka cranks as seen on here, silver with Red spider (to compliment the Rock Shox spring), NOS m960 rear mech, love that finish, it will suit this bike I think?

Thanks for peoples help so far with info, specs etc...

Latest posts

Back