1998 GT STS-DH Lobo Full Build

Gadro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Going to start this thread for my newly acquired Lobo. Been after one for ages and finally came across a mint frame on eBay.

DSC00854.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the frame itself

CIMG2401.jpg

CIMG2402.jpg

CIMG2409.jpg

CIMG2406.jpg

I'm planning a new build on this frame to the best standard that I can afford. Already sourced a few goodies

3793593870_b02c009d7f_o.jpg

Still waiting for delivery of a few other things

Red Hope Headset , Head Doctor and Spacers
Azonic Stem
FSA Carbon Wrap Risers (modern but only £14.99 at CRC reduced from £49.99)
XTR Rear Mech, the polished aluminium type, not sure what M900 model yet, had it off the Bay and it looks sweet.

The forks I've gone for are a Marzocchi Junior T with 170mm travel. Really wanted Boxxers but just couldn't fit them in my current budget. Thanks for the PM's guys regarding the forks but I had a deal a couldn't refuse on these forks.

Not to sure on the saddle to get for on this yet, any ideas or views would be appreciated.

The other parts needed are being looked at as I type, but if anyone has got a rear mint condition XTR shifter then get in touch.

I'm also after an AC Holeshot Chainring and AC Chain Device

I will keep this thread updated with the build progress as I go along - God its expensive :( but it'll be worth it :cool:

NICE , I like this frame , super design for the period .

( I have a red AC chainguide and AC holeshot for sale :cool: )

Good futur working ;)

Done a bit of work on the frame

Fitted some Junior T's they're OK but I really wanted some Boxxers, Alain yours would have been perfect but I aint got sufficient funds at the moment.

So here's what I've done today

Fitted Hope Headset and the forks. Put the forks on mainly to see what the geometry looked like. They need a little bit of work to get them up to the standard I want. The Stanchions are mint with 170mm travel. The lowers are Matt Black and don't (in my opinion) really suit the frame so I'm contemplating getting them powder coated in either gloss red or black with new decals. I can get them powder coated for £20 and decals are only a few quid extra.

Lobo2-1.jpg

The handlebars are modern, currently £14.99 on sale at CRC reduced from £49.99. They're carbon wrap not full fibre. Not ideal and not what I was really after but they will do for the moment. That Hope Headset was a real bugger to fit. My headset press just wouldn't cut it so I had to resort to tapping the last couple of mm in with a nice bit of wood and a mallet.

Top crown isn't positioned right yet. Little bit higher and reposition the spacers.

The stem is an Azonic Equalizer, not too sure of it yet and might go for a polished Shorty

Lobo3.jpg

The forks really lift the front of the bike and the Lobo look like it should.

Lobo1-1.jpg

There is still a lot of work to do, my main concerns are is the bottom bracket and a Chainring for my AC Cranks. Really concerned about the axle length in order to get a correct chain line.

I've also now decided to go for a MRP Chain Device with top and bottom rollers. Haven't sourced one yet so if you've got one in good condition and at a reasonable price get in touch.

The rear mech is a M960 just arrived today here's a pic. It's used but in pretty good condition

XTR1.jpg

This is what I'm still trying to source and any help would be appreciated.

Shimano XTR RH Rear Shifter
Suitable Chainring 5 Bolt 110 BCD
MRP Chain Retention Device
Shimano Bottom Bracket BB-M950

I will be getting some Hope wheels , not sure what rims other than they've got to be black. Going to be running 203mm Rotors on the front and 160mm on the rear, Currently got a set of Bontrager Race Disc Tubeless on them which will do for the moment.

So that's it, bit of an update so what do you think?

Here's a pic of the Lobo alongside it's little brother my LTS-DS

Lobo8.jpg

I've an MRP Mini-me in very, very good condition. Problem is it only goes to a 34t. The big ones always seem to pop up on e-bay cheap though.

Why 203 front and 160 rear? It'll unbalance the look. 185 or 203 rear IMO ;)

Looking good so far. As you mentioned, it's more of an art object than a frame. Perfect for wall-hanging :D

Back