2001 Titus Switchblade

tam_shadow

Old School Hero
One of the great all around trail bikes with the FSR-Horst design, light enough for XC but burly enough for all mountain/DH. I use the 4.5" rear kit with the TALAS at 100mm, but have the 5" links/shock for those times I feel ... the need.

Not really a daily driver these days (since I got the carbon 29er hardtail...) but does get a workout a couple times a month. It got a new saddle, grips and shifters last summer otherwise pretty much the way I last fiddled with it around 2006.

In current spec 28 pounds as ridden.

titus_01.jpg

titus_02.jpg

2001 Titus Switchblade, Anodized Black, 4.5” travel kit

Shock: 2002 Fox Float RL

Fork: 2004 Fox TALAS RLC

Headset: Chris King
Stem: Thompson Elite 90mm
Bar: Easton MonkeyLite SL carbon riser
Grips: WTB 4-Front lock on grips.
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 160mm
Shifters: SRAM X-9 trigger

Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-0
Cassette: Shimano XTR 11-32
Cranks: RaceFace Turbine forged square taper
Chainrings: Salsa 44 29 - all you need is two
Pedals: Shimano M545

Wheelset: Mavic CrossMax XL Disc
Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.1 (rear) 2.35 (front)

Saddle: WTB Laser V SLT
Seatpost: Thompson Elite setback
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Lip Lock

Lysander":18d8lhb0 said:
I not long since got a 2003 frame- itchin' to get it built up!

pics please - I have half a mind to try and convert the rear end to run the later TALAS Shock (on the fly 3.75-4.5-5.75 rear travel - boooiiiinnngggg) like your 2003 should have.

...looky what I got to fit...

titus650b_01.jpg

Yes Virginia, that's a 650b x 2.3 Neo Moto in front with room to spare...
titus650b_02.jpg

...and amazingly also clears the rear stays although the "new" Neo Moto 2.1 would be the way to go in back.
titus650b_03.jpg

The XT hub/Velocity Blunt hub wheelset was a cheap ebay score and are destined for my Salsa La Cruz monstercross (currently road drops with 29 x 1.75 tires, going dirt drop bars and 650 x 2.0 rear/ 2.1 or 2.3 front), I am running the front only for testing before I sink money into a Stans wheelset.

PS I also swapped a 2005 RP3 shock on as well as some M647 pedals.

For thems that says you can't teach an old dog new tricks...the 650B added to the old Titus has RE-created a monster. Not as quick up the hill as the carbon 29er hardtail, but downhill in the rocky stuff it's the doggies danglies. Used to average 8MPH on my 10 mile loop, on the Superfly it's 10MPH, the 26/650B setup is getting 9.2MPH and deffo quicker coming down the ol roller coaster.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13590955

Dug out an old (HEAVY!!!) 11-34 cassette and swapped rotors/skewers from the Crossmax wheelset...now full 650b with the 2.3 tires front and rear - no rubbing or bumping or contact with moving bits, have about 30 miles on it this way and it's a rocket and feels solid. Need to hang it on a scale, guessing it picked up a pound or two but likely still under 30 as ridden.

9.5MPH average on that same 10 mile loop :) yes saving up for the Stans wheelset now.

Back