COTIC Soul the way I built it

THEFALLGUY

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All,

Here is my newest build, frame was second hand and I got some cable stops moved around and resprayed at Bob Jacksons. Hope you like it.

Frame: Cotic Soul

Fork: Rock Shox Recon (Thanks Boy "O" Boy)

Headset: Hope
Stem: Thompson
Handlebar: EA70
Grips: ODI attack

Brakes: Avid Code 5 (Thanks Dr S)

Shifters: XT Thumbies NOS
Front Derailleur: XT
Rear Derailleur: XT
Cassette: HG 90 8 speed NOS
Chain: SRAM PC 850
Cranks: Middleburn RS7s (Thanks Wold Ranger and Haggis)
Chainrings: MiddleBurn
Bottom Bracket: FSA thingy
Pedals: XTR

Hub Skewers: Salsa
Rims: mavic 317 disc rims
Hubs: Hope Silver (nice )
Nipples: DT
Spokes:DT
Tyres: Maxis High Roller 2.35
Tubes:?

Saddle: WTB Pure V Titanium
Seatpost: Thompson
Seatpost Binder: Salsa

Really like that...a modern take on the classic hardtail :D

I've got a Charge Duster and was thinking of switching to a Cotic due to them being long in the top tube (Charge is tiny) What does it ride like and do they take a 100mm fork?

Yum Yum! now try it without gears and slap some rigid forks on it and then it will really fly!

Neil G":1k04ciup said:

I've got a Charge Duster and was thinking of switching to a Cotic due to them being long in the top tube (Charge is tiny) What does it ride like and do they take a 100mm fork?

They do ride very well indeed and well worth the extra ££. I have run one with a 100-140 Talas RLC (which I ran at 120mm plus sag) and now have a 100mm (440) Pace RC31 fork on mine which have transformed it into a mad little terrier of a bike- razor sharp up front now and very much like a modern Yo Eddy (but with better brakes :LOL: )
I wouldn't say they are particularly long in the top tube- mine is a medium and I use a layback Thompson post (I'm 5' 10"ish) and a short 70mm hope stem which gives it great balance- a longer stem makes them a little lazier and puts too much wieght over the front.
if its a long top tube you need try a Inbred 456. Gazz loves his but i thought mine was poop.

Si

just been for the maiden voyage tonight first chance i got to get back from work early.

Dr S is correct these really do ride nicely, its really sharp on the steering and thats with a 130mm fork (no traval adjustment) overall the best bike I have ridden so far for the riding we have around here in the Chilterns........woodland single track and loads of it :)

I am 6' 2" and this large sized frame seems to fit me like a glove, the stems is 100mm.

The forks were a real suprise they are really smooth and stable, hats off to RockShox these are great for the money ( Cheers Boy O Boy) :)

Dr S":3j15pjut said:
Yum Yum! now try it without gears and slap some rigid forks on it and then it will really fly!

Neil G":3j15pjut said:

They do ride very well indeed and well worth the extra ££. I have run one with a 100-140 Talas RLC (which I ran at 120mm plus sag) and now have a 100mm (440) Pace RC31 fork on mine which have transformed it into a mad little terrier of a bike- razor sharp up front now and very much like a modern Yo Eddy (but with better brakes :LOL: )
I wouldn't say they are particularly long in the top tube- mine is a medium and I use a layback Thompson post (I'm 5' 10"ish) and a short 70mm hope stem which gives it great balance- a longer stem makes them a little lazier and puts too much wieght over the front.
if its a long top tube you need try a Inbred 456. Gazz loves his but i thought mine was poop.

Si

Sounds like a nice ride

My Charge has a very short TT which I find puts me way too upright....not pinned/racy enough!

456 doesn't really appeal to me although they are very popular...a tad heavy plus ten a penny these days.

go on buy yourself one :) although the new colours are a load of pants thats why I went down the repray a secondhand one root.

A good mate of mine has just treated himself to one in the Builders tea colour. He is currently building it up and hopes to have it ready for our purbecks trip next weekend.
I cant wait to give it a go, and have been thinking about selling off a number of my steads and replacing them with a modern hard tail.
I want to have a look at the new Pace before I make a decision though.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... steel+pace

(yes I am a Pace fan boy, but to be honest I just like Brit stuff so a Cotic wouldnt be out of the question.)

I like the Cotic colours, headbadge is real shite though & I'd be taking that off straight away.

That Pace does look amazing but TBH if it's going to be £500/600 I'd be asking myself wether I should just stump up the money for a Dogs Bolox

Has anyone got any info on the Orange R8 as well...now that did look like a perfect hardtail, bet they'll be gone VERY quickly if they decide to launch it.

Neil G":1odrsccf said:
I like the Cotic colours, headbadge is real shite though & I'd be taking that off straight away.

Yes, mine came off straight away :? Got a solid silver one coming from Jen Green to replace it which should look better.

Si

Dr S":1mi241cs said:
Neil G":1mi241cs said:

Yes, mine came off straight away :? Got a solid silver one coming from Jen Green to replace it which should look better.

Si

How do i get a silver one?

Back