My 1998 Explosif

phoenixinflames

Dirt Disciple
The first ride had priority over taking pics after I finished the build, so there`s already dust on it and the NOS parts are not NOS anymore. I hope you`ll let me get away with that.

It looks pretty much like the Fire Mountain I buildt two years ago except it`s equiped with XTR instead of XT and, of course, the frame is 1.3lbs lighter.
Whole bike is somewhere between 21 and 22lbs.

Got the frame shipped from British Columbia, overpayed 50$ on shipping and had to pay custom fees on the amount I overpayed..:evil:
At least the frame was in good shape except for the paint.
So I got it painted yellow and was quite lucky getting some NOS XTR952 parts for very reasonably prices.
The Crossmax wheelset from 98(?) was quite cheap, too but I will have to replace the bearings in the rear hub any time soon.
I bought the NOS Flite Kevlar on german Ebay with buy it now for 50€ minutes after the bidding started and picked it up in a nice little bike shop in a small village near Rheinbach which was downstairs right next to the living room in the house the owner and his family lived in.
I had a pair of Cook E-cranks but opted for the Race Face as the Cooks color didnt match the XTR grey as I had expected.
Most of the other parts I got from here, mtb-news.de and Ebay.de, co.uk and .com.
Getting not too expensive, modern and reasonably light and wide tires without having SCHWALBE plus a stupid alliteration on the sidewall turned out the hardest part as there seems to be an absolute monopoly on the german tire market :LOL:
Last tricky part was to get a seatpost clamp in 30.0 which really clamped the post after a 09 USE clamp utterly failed. I ended up with a Salsa flip lock.
I tried a 110mm Race Face System stem with low riser bars, too but decided to put on the 120mm CT and Titec straight bars as they look and feel much better imho. After the first 90km I realized I have to go to the gym to get my back and neck musculature in shape again :roll:

Here you go:

Explosif_01.jpg

Explosif_02.jpg

Explosif_03.jpg

Explosif_09.jpg

Explosif_04.jpg

Explosif_06.jpg

Explosif_05.jpg

Explosif_07.jpg

Explosif_08.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Tasty bike. Wouldn't mind owning my self . The colour is excellent :cool:

Of course it does. It`s a Kona.

I just have to get used to it. Somehow the bunny hop technique I use on my BMX bike doesnt work on this bike :LOL:

:cool: Thats Lush.. :) .. All I would change is the cranks for XTR's and go for matching bars and stem... :LOL: apart from that its fab... ;)

Back