2005 Bianchi S.A.S.S.

richi78

Devout Dirtbag
Another bit of foolish eBay bidding I am awaiting delivery of a 2005 Bianchi S.A.S.S. frame. 17.5" of chromed out steelness.

I had been toying with the idea of butchering my Hahanna frame and welding in disc mounts, removing canti bosses and cable guides, sandblasting and clear powder coating it. But, with a quote of over $350 to get the work done, it seemed a little silly - especially as the Hahanna frame, as sentimental to me as it is, isnt exactly top of the line!

So, this Bianchi frame seems ideal. Its a better quality frame, fairly light weight and is also disc specific, which is what I want for this bike and of course has the horizontal drop outs which makes the whole chain tension thing a doddle!

BWRpoNQBmkKGrHgoOKjEEjlLmY6sPBKWo9W.jpg

BWRphqgB2kKGrHgoOKjoEjlLmErDsBKWo9B.jpg

BWRpiWQCGkKGrHgoOKi8EjlLmY5yVBKWo9C.jpg

The plan is to take most of the parts off of my Kona SS (linky in Sig) and transplant them over to this one. However I may opt for some different cranks and also will have to get a new seat post (thankfully in a more common 27.2mm size!).

I'll keep this updated with details of the build and I think that the combo of shiny frame, carbon forks and blacked out components will combine to make a sweet ride!

If anyone has any knowledge, info or experience of Bianchi SASS frames or bikes, I'd love to hear it.

richi78":1aqhuesq said:
I'll keep this updated with details of the build and I think that the combo of shiny frame, carbon forks and blacked out components will combine to make a sweet ride!

If anyone has any knowledge, info or experience of Bianchi SASS frames or bikes, I'd love to hear it.

There's some Bianchi stuff here and if you search on the Mtbr Singlespeed forum you'll get loads more.

I always fancied one of those Bianchi PUSS's (the pink Easton framed SS) but the only thing that puts me off one is the high standover compared to top tube length.
I just wish they'd dropped the top tube /seat tube junction a little....

Hurry up and build this you slacker!! ;)

You can't leave us hangin' like this.

Al. :D

Ha!

I'm still awaiting to receive delivery. I can assure you that as soon as it arrives it will be built asap.

The poor old Kona SS is already being stripped down in anticipation!

The only things that I will be waiting on are a new Seat post and a new BB as the one in the Kona is the original one from 95! time for a new one I think!!! - however, not sure what size I need so best wait for the frame to arrive.

Rest assured there will be piccies galore once it turns up - any day now hopefully.

okey dokey...

Frame arrived today and thankfully it was expertly packed and was in tip-top condition.

DSC01179.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01168.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

DSC01173.jpg

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01175.jpg

I took a couple of pics of the old Kona SS before attacking it with the spanners...

DSC01180.jpg

... and about 20 minutes later...

DSC01189.jpg

so, part stripped and a quick mock up build to get a feel for how she will look.

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01194.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

I'm really liking the black and chrome contrast as well as the carbon front end and brown saddle. I've got some smaller (and considerably lighter) tyres to put on and am on the prowl for the following parts to complete the build:-

1. 27.2 seat post in black or carbon
2. Tensioners/tug nuts
3. Non-QR rear skewer
4. Bottom bracket and black single speed cranks - thinking Truvativ is way to go.
5. Headset as can't be arsed to faff with getting old one out of Kona frame and also allows me to swap frames if feel like it.

I think that is about it and hope to get it all sorted in the next couple of weeks as and when parts arrive.

that looks lovely! i will have a nice shiny black fsa orbit aheadset for sale in the next couple of days. looking for £15 posted as its only been used for about 50 miles so is pretty much perfect.

Nice!
Using the outer ring of those cranks is scary, I had 3 spider/ring assemblies fail, two the ring just peeled off suddenly, ie six of eight rivets pulled out of the spider/broke the ends off; the other the spider failed and the ring folded in half. This was with gears!

Latest posts

Back