• Respray it - it deserves it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nporternz

Gold Trader
Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Got this recently from a friendly retrobiker in Sweded. To cut a long story short this is one of my all time favourite bikes and it turns out this one has a bit of history to it too!!

Legend has it that this bike was once owned by Mert Lawwill and was raced at the 1998 X-Games by Marla Streb. Its got bearings on all the pivots and the rear travel is 5, not 4, inches

I got it in very good condition - although i've added a few decals (sorry Neil) and some other parts

DHO Forks - yes I know its an sl brace
Boxxer Front Hub
HED Downhill Rims
Magura Front Brake

But I cannot decide whether to keep it like this or strip it down and do a proper restoration job on it respray etc.......

any thoughts welcome

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 7,015
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 7,015
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 7,015
I think, If your going to re-spray it and replicate the original paintjob then crack on.
A good restoration of something with a little history behind it is a lovely thing.

If your going to use it as yeti intended then just freshen it up, but i would guess your going to ride it and not thrash it to death so go RE-SPRAY :cool: :D

Gc

I'd leave it...bikes always look good with some marks of use/history and often when you start spending money restoring etc. they become to precious and end up in the garage 24/7/365!

Re: Yeti Lawwill 4

nporternz":189qm0oz said:
although i've added a few decals (sorry Neil)

Hey no problem, I love decals!! :cool:

Looking sweet with the HED wheels.
It's a tough decision, one I mulled over constantly when I owned it. I'm a big fan of patina, as is Yeti founder John Parker who now runs the Primer Nationals http://www.primernationals.com/primer/event.html but I think the Lawwill would also look great totally restored and factory-fresh.

Not much help am I? :oops:

Attachments

• rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 6,920
Thats fantastic, I'd go full resto then use it.

Re: Yeti Lawwill 4

beepbeep":yc2hga1m said:
nporternz":yc2hga1m said:
although i've added a few decals (sorry Neil)

Hey no problem, I love decals!! :cool:

Looking sweet with the HED wheels.
It's a tough decision, one I mulled over constantly when I owned it. I'm a big fan of patina, as is Yeti founder John Parker who now runs the Primer Nationals http://www.primernationals.com/primer/event.html but I think the Lawwill would also look great totally restored and factory-fresh.

Not much help am I? :oops:

its real difficult!! if i go full respray then will the decals look weird if they are viynl and not under the clear??

leaning towards building it and having a little fun and then stripping and restoring!!

Cant wait to put THOSE shifters on!

Back